What's new

Denon or Outlaw? (1 Viewer)

NicholasL

Second Unit
Oooh, that's a toughie. Personally, even though I usually lean towards seperates, I'd go for the Denon in this case.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
I have heard some great things about the outlaw systems though. I don't have any first hand knowledge of them as of yet.

Mike

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Yes.

They are both high-quality choices - you shouldn't be disappointed with either. You can make your decision on personal preferences, minor feature differences, a coin toss, whatever. If you know your requirements you can play the checklist game, and if you can get a hands-on audition of each one you might discover personal preferences that tip the decision, but you literally can't lose with either choice.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Outlaw,if nothing else you get better amps,and you can replace the pre/pro latter if you ever wanna upgrade.

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I do not believe you will be disappointed with either choice. I would probably go with the Outlaw because it will be relatively cheaper to upgrade the pre/pro versus upgrading a receiver:

The Denon, which was $2000, is now discontinued costs $1500 on-line. The Outlaw 950 and 7100 combo is a little more money, but if you go for the B-stock unit, it's the same price. So money isn't an issue here. Speculation is that the 950 will be replaced in the near future as well. Advantage 4802 for the “bargain” aspect.

To me, the reason to go with a receiver is to get more bells and whistles and the most processing alternatives. Neither solution has Dolby Pro-Logic IIx, and neither had digital video switching. The Denon has THX Ultra2, Outlaw has Cirrus Logic Extra Surround. The Denon probably has more "toys" to play with than the Outlaw, but I think they're pretty equivalent on meaningful features. Tie

I owned a Denon AVR-3000 for years, and now have an Outlaw 950 and 7 M-200 amps. I was very happy with the Denon, but needed to upgrade beyond Pro-Logic. I decided to go with the separates because I believed that eventually I'll want digital video switching and the latest and greatest processing.

I think digital video switching (DVI or HDMI) is going to be very important, otherwise it's going to be clumsy to switch between DVD and cable and/or, satellite. When you upgrade, you're going to replace the entire 4802, whereas you'll only be upgrading the 950. To me this is a big advantage for the Outlaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks