Denon or Onkyo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Duke, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

Ok I want to get a new receiver that not only has DPL II, but also component switching for my Hitachi 32UDX10S. I've been looking at the Denon 1603/1803 or the Onkyo 600. I really don't see the need to move beyond the 400-500 dollar range, and each seem to have what I'd like. I don't know a lot about Denon, but I've heard very good things.

Are there others I should be looking at in this price range?

Thanks

2. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

The Denon's are VERY nice. (I have a 2802)However, I think in this case you should go with the Onkyo. "I" feel that the Onkyo is better for the money. (Only against the 1802) The 2802 is much better then the ones you listed IMO.
    Anyway's, the Onkyo looks better[​IMG] Anything below 2802 is ugly[​IMG]
    Any way you can A-B test them??

3. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

denon

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I would go for the Denon's sound quality and the Onkyo's ergonomics. In other words, the Denon has a warmer sound which would go better with bright speakers like mine, Klipschs, but they are also much less user friendly, at least from what I've heard. Either company, in my opinion, offers some fine products. Others you might consider would be Harman Kardon or Outlaw. I'm not that familiar with either, but I think the Outlaw has no PLII and the Harman Kardon has something similar, but unique, for this type of processor. I may be completely wrong here, but, then again... So, I'd wait for others to comment. Another thread that ran today dealt with receivers made by Panasonic (surprised me as they aren't known for this) and people seemed to be pretty impressed.

One final note would be for you to mention what types of speakers you now have or might have in the future so that people could suggest different possible speaker specific options.

5. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo [​IMG]
    Try auditioning both in your setup.

6. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I have two setups at my house. One is powered by a Denon and the other by an Onkyo. Both have different characteristics and both sound great. I would get the most for your money between the two. I am not familuar with either model you are considering but you may want to read matthew_rm's post again as he seems to know the two.

7. Jon Duke

I currently have the Polk Rm 6600 Satellites and the Polk PSW350 sub. It has worked very will with my Onkyo 575, but if I am going to upgrade I want to get the best for the money. Since the Onkyo 600 and Denon 1803 are in the same ball park, I figured they are a natural comparison.

I'm also very concerned about the perceived underpowered amp on the Onkyo. Many threads mention the Onkyo only having 34w of output through 5 speakers, while the Denon has a true 80w. I don't want to feel duped in buying a 75w amp that puts out 34w. Is this a fact, or is it a bunch of Denon fan boys trying steer more folks their way?

8. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

Your only being "duped" if you selected it based on it's specs rather than the sound.

Peace.

9. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Onkyo.

10. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I am of the opinion that some of the lower end products (no harm intended:b ) all have wattage rating issues. I think you have to spend a little more before the WPC come close to claimed.

Perhaps I am wrong.:b

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Denon with bright speakers and onkyo with laid back speakers.

12. Jon Duke

Any idea as to where the Polks would fit in a bright v. mellow scale?

Also, I agree with you Phil. I previously worked at Circuit selling car stereos... Talk about outrageous wattage ratings! Home theater has nothing on car audio in terms of overstating a unit's wattage.

On a related note to this thread, the RM6600 has 5 satellites and both the 1802 and 600 have 6 channels. Any idea what would work for that rear center channel? Should it be the same speaker series for "voice matching", purchase a nice polk center channel and move the RM6600 center to the rear, or pick up an Rt10 or some other Polk bookshelf? Jumping into the world of 6.1 is more complicated than I thought...

13. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Jon,
    I have an Onkyo receiver working very nicely with Polk RT35i speakers in my daughter's bedroom. Her system always sounds very nice to me. Those Polk speakers, at least, are not bright sounding.

14. Jon Duke

I didn't find the 6600's to be bright, but since I have only had them hooked through the Onkyo it is difficult to compare them to anything else.

15. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Jon,
    I have Polks with a Denon in my bedroom and I think it sounds great[​IMG] , I would say more on the neutral side. For the rear channel you could do just what you reccomended by using the center you said for the rear and purchasing a better center. Thats exactly what I'm doing with my main system. However I will say I'm not totally happy with this as one of the drivers in a center channel speaker is passive, which I think exhists in all centers. That being the case I am going to 7.1 shortly and using floor model speakers for my rears.[​IMG]

16. Jon Duke

I think I am going to go with the Onkyo. The doubled video component bandwith is the deal maker for me, but I am concerned about the amp quality of the new 600's. I have the 575x now, and I am very happy with it. But, I really don't want to upgrade my receiver to get a "downgraded" amp. It seems as though there are many out there who feel the 600 amp is inferior to the 5-5 series. Any truth to this? I'd like to see hard facts, but I would settle to hear anecdotes of this theory.

Thanks! You guys have been a big help already!

17. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hi Jon,
    I am linking below a discussion on Onkyo receivers. This discussion is mostly made up of Onkyo users and becomes heated at times. Among other things, they discuss the power supplies of Onkyos now, as opposed to a few years back. I remember being somewhat taken aback by the fact that my old Onkyo Pro 7 seemingly had much more reserve power than my new 696, although it had a higher power rating. One of the posters writes that he had the 600 tested at, as I recall, 34 watts/channel with all channels driven. Others questioned how the unit in question was tested. In any regard, the two page discussion is quite interesting reading and hopefully will help you make your decision as to which receiver to buy, Onkyo or not. By the way, I'm personally not giving up on Onkyo as a company, but do wish they would get their power supplies back up to where they once were. I've actually been a long time fan of Onkyo products and wouldn't want to dissuade you from buying one if that is your preference. Anyway, here's the link:
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...=&fpart=1&vc=1
    Here's a link to Sound and Vision's test results for amps contained in receivers. I don't think the 600 is in it, but your 575 and many other Onkyos are.
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm