Denon or Onkyo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Daw, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Steve Daw

Steve Daw Auditioning

I see where I can get an Onkyo tx-sr800 refurbed for $619. it got great review as a processor. However, through this forum, I see 6th ave has the Denon 3803 for only $648! new! I am looking to use one of these only as a processor, as I have external amps. Which would be the better processor?

2. Stephen_Moor

Stephen_Moor Extra

Can't go wrong with either as a Pre/Pro.
    Personally I would take the Denon due to it is New and will come with the Full manufacture's warranty from an authorized dealer.

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I'll add that if you're going to try the 3803 6Ave deal, I suggest you do it soon. Nobody knows if that deal is still good or not...and once Denon finds out, you can bet your britches the deal will be closed QUICK.

FWIW, I ordered mine on 12 Nov. I got an email today stating they are backordered so badly on the 3803 that mine won't ship for at LEAST two weeks. I figure 3-4 weeks before I get it. [​IMG] But at least my order is in the que. YMMV.

4. Drew K

Drew K Auditioning

I ordered my Denon 3802 today
    (11/18)and they upgraded it to a 3803 so 6ave.com is still an option for you

5. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I sold my Onkyo(575) for a Denon 2803 and although they both sound good I actually prefer the sound of the Onkyo. The only reason I sold it was because I wanted 6.1/7.1. The Onkyo was just a little bit "brighter", which I like.

6. Steve Daw

Steve Daw Auditioning

Thanks for all the input. I just ordered th Denon 3803 from 6th ave. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up!

7. Steve Daw

Steve Daw Auditioning

Vincent_S
    Did the Onkyo sound brighter because of the built in amps? I think the amps make all the difference in bright sound or not. I am using external amps, namely Odyssey Extreme monoblocks and a 3 channel Odyssey. I plan on bypassing all of the receiver amps anyway.

8. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Correct. I was using the Onkyo's internal amps. I am also using the Denon in the same way.