DENON or MARANTZ, which is best for my B&W's??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_N_H, Mar 26, 2002.

1. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum so I hope I get things right. Here is my problem,

My current relevant system is as follows, Receiver - Marantz SR4200, Main Speakers - B&W DM605 S2's, Rear Speakers - B&W DM601 S3's, Centre - B&W LCR60-3, CD - Arcam Diva CD72, DVD - Toshiba SD210E.

I am now in a situation where my receiver is the weakest link in my system especially for music use, my CD player and also my main speakers both surpass it, what I now need is some help on how to get around this problem. I have thought of two ways to go in the future, the first being:

1. Purchase a Denon AVR-2802 receiver along with a Denon POA-T10 power amp to bi-amp my mains, or just bi-wire my mains off the power amp.

2. Purchase the Marantz MM9000 5-channel power amp and add it to my Marantz SR4200.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above set-ups or can anyone give me advice as to which road I should be looking down, bearing in mind bi-wiring my mains is essential and my primary use for the system is for music purposes? I do feel the second option would just be covering up the main problem in the first place. I also have no extra room for 6.1/7.1 surround systems which the Denon would provide.

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Well, considering they are both the same company now, I don't think it will matter much. [​IMG]
    Personally, I like the sound of Marantz for music. You would definitely benefit from additional power, though I would expect the 4200 to be able to power those speakers fine, though maybe not convincingly and working a bit harder. An external amp will give you more clean power than you will get by just upgrading the receiver. My suggestion, if you want to stick with a Marantz receiver, would be to consider a 6200 or above. An 8200 would give you plenty of power.
    I have Paradigm Mini Monitors with an SR6200 (set to small), and it provides more than enough power, with no distortion well above reference levels. Music sounds great.

3. James_N_H

Thanks for the reply, they may now be the same company, well not officially till the end of May, but the current product ranges where still designed individually so will be different.

The 4200 is o.k for the surround channels but does not have enough power for the centre and is seriously lacking with the mains, it always runs into clipping before I realise it cant handle them. I was looking at the denon as they appear to be a higher quality make and the AVR-2802 will be more suited to medium end speakers rather than the budget end speakers that the marantz is limited to. For the money I have been very impressed with the Marantz but I would have no problem switching to Denon.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't think you could go wrong with either, however I auditioned the 3802 and it didn't sound any better than the 6200 or 7200, so I went with the 6200 for a lot less. The 3802 sounded great for HT, but not as good for music as the other two. I think you could get away with either a 2 or 3 ch amp just for the mains, and all would be good.

5. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

*Assuming* you like the feature set of the SR-4200, I would add the amp. You leave yourself with the future flexibility to change out the SR-4200 at a later date with a Pre/Pro. I have a Marantz SR-8200/B&W 600 series 2 setup, and I think they go great together. In your shoes I would add the amp and then a Pre/Pro (Marantz/Rotel/Outlaw) later.

My $.02

Pete

6. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

James,
    I have a 7200 and B&W speakers. I've added a 5-ch Rotel amp (RMB-1075) recently and I just can't tell you how much better the sound is now. Separates rule over receiver-only configs, in my humble opinion. [​IMG]

7. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

A good 2-channel outboard amp would certainly help the 4200 by taking away the loads from the main speakers, freeing up the Marantz's power for the center and surrounds. Perhaps a used Rotel 2-channel amp? B&W, Rotel and Marantz: a very nice match indeed.

8. James_N_H

Thanks for the advice:

2 other configurations I have conisdered have been to add a 5-channel amp such as the Rotel or a 2-channel one such as a NAD C270 to the marantz, I have however been advised against it by everyone I have come accross, as they always say that I should not be mixing amps and keeping it all the same. Bi-wiring my mains is also a must, something the NAD would allow me to do, but I believe the Rotel I would have to bi-amp it with my marantz, something I do not wish to do.