Denon or H/K for entry HT/stereo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleGS, Feb 24, 2002.

1. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Hey guys- I am upgrading my Sony DE (for obvious reasons). I listen to 50:50 stereo and HT. I want a "higher end" unit. I would like a very clean and strong stereo performance. What do you guys think about the SQ and build of the Denon and HK units? Are they similar or does one stand out? The two I am looking at are the Denon AVR1802 and the H/K AVR220. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on these units or other entry level receivers in this price range? (less than 500)I'm running some Morel speakers and a Klipsch KSW12 if that helps.
    Thanks
    KYLE

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

You'll be served well by either of these receivers. Any perceived differences in sound quality will probably come down to your individual listening preferences. I personnally prefer the H/K for stereo listening (I actually have the 320, which is a step up from the 220), although the Denons are no slouch in that department either. Try to find a place that has both receivers so you can do side by side comparisons.

A note of caution with the H/Ks: the LFE level on DTS soundtracks is about 10db lower than normal, so you'll have to do some tweaking with channel balances to get DTS sounding the way you're used to. If you think this will drive you crazy, then stay away from the H/Ks. Other than that, I love my 320 and have been very impressed with the sound it puts out. Good luck!

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I am a Denon 1802 owner and second Eujin's statement as well.....Either of the two will suffice. Hk has a DSP called logic 7 which is quite awesome for music, but the Denon also has adjustable Dolby pro-logic II, and as Eujin stated, is no slouch. However, if you were strictly in it for music, I think the Marantz 5200 would win out over both. The Denon and HK are great entry level units for the cash, so give each a listen and pick the one which best suits your needs.

Reg

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Reg is right about the Marantz, which is another fine sounding receiver. However, I think the 5200 costs a little bit more. Also, make sure that you go with a dealer that has a good return policy if you pick the Marantz. The current line has had a pretty spotty record with quality control issues, but a good dealer will take care of you if anything happens.

5. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Thanks guys- I think the Marantz is a tad out of my range. I probably will not use any processing for my stereo reproduction. I really like it as pure as possible. [​IMG] I like the stereo out of two speakers only. [​IMG] Does anyone else have any experience with Onkyo or Yamaha's in the same price range?
    Also how do the Denon units compare to the H/K units in terms of reputation and Sound Quality in general (outside of these two specific receivers)?

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Denons have always enjoyed a very good reputation for sound quality and reliability. You'll find few detractors on this forum where Denons are concerned. H/Ks, on the other hand, seem to be less popular. This is due in part to the quality control issues that they had with the previous x10 generation of receivers. In general, I think Marantz and H/K are considered more "musical" receivers, while Denons, Yamahas and Onkyos are pretty balanced for music and HT.

Again, I think it all comes down to what your personal tastes are. I've owned Onkyos before my current H/K and didn't think it was shortchanging my two channel listening at all. That said, I don't think I'd pick any of the Onkyos in the same price range as the H/K or Denon that you're looking at. The only current Onkyo that I like on 2-channel stereo is the 797 which is a lot pricier. It's probably a good idea to listen to a couple of Yamahas too. They have a reputation for being overly bright, but I haven't found that to be the case (and I did quite a lot of listening while receiver shopping the last few months), so you should definitely try to experience them for yourself.

7. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Thanks Eujin- Anyone else? Looks like I can't go wrong in this case. I do think however that I will go with the Denon b/c it has pre amp outs.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you like pure stereo, then I will have to say Marantz AGAIN. There is no better receiver on the (mass) market for stereo, in the price range. I don't know why you would make the comment about processing, as the 1802, 5200, and HK 220 all have the same features (and the HK is actually the more expensive unit)

I listened to HK (410, 510) and the sound for music was very good. I listened to higher up Denons - 2802 and 3802 and was very impressed with the HT ability, and muisic was very good. When I listened to Marantz, I was sold. I had already listend to them in homes, in friend's systems and was impressed. The musical capability, specifically stereo, is better than any of the other receivers mentioned in this post. I bought an SR6200, and I am very pleased with it. I also have an older SR4000 that I am using for stereo music, and I think it might actually sound better than the 6200 with 35Wpc less. Marantz is certainly worth an audition. (they also have preamp outs)

I would recommend saving a bit of $$ and moving up in the model range - Marantz SR6200, Denon 2802, HK 320. More power is always worth it. I have not listened to an Outlaw before, but they seem to be pretty popular here.

9. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I prefer the detail and warm sound of the HK for 2 channel music over all the other receivers mentioned. Just my 2 cents worth.
    In other words, do your own research and pick what sounds best to you.[​IMG]

10. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hi Kyle,welcome to the forum.Its funny isn't it when you ask a question specifically about two receivers and you always tend to get opinions about other receivers.Anyway,I own a H/K and I love it.Either way,Denon or H/K,you will be very impressed.Logic 7 in the H/K is very good for listening to music.I'm sure that many people here on this forum will attest to H/K smooth,warm reproduction of music.Yes,their was a built problem with H/K's of the past but I believe that all is well now.I've tested the Denon 3802 and other than price,were fairly close in what I wanted in a receiver or at least I can't tell any noticable difference.My H/K also has pre-outs for all channels like the Denon so that wasn't an issue.Anyway,good luck with your choice.