What's new

Denon/Onkyo/Marantz...which one? (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
would you recommend for a home theater setup. It would also be used for music, but mostly home theater. I think it will be used with Klipsch speakers (probably rf3. I am mainly considering the Denon 3802, Marnatz SR6200 or 7200 & have forgottent the Onkyo model #. My room setup will be 25' x 15', & will include dish network satellite & dvd player. Could someone please explain what "Circle Surrond 5.1" is? Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Denon has both, but the Marantz have a better sound for music to them, IMHO - warm rich and full. The Denon 3802 is very impressive though, and seems to do a little better than Marantz for HT.
I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them. None of them are bad at what they do.
biggrin.gif
It's just a personal preference on features/sound/price.
CS5.1 is a DSP mode, very similar to DPL2, that upconverts nearly any source to a 5.1 surround mix.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I don't understand how a receiver could cause music to sound better or make home theater to sound better..........I thought the speakers would determine that difference

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand if people prefer the Marantz over the Denon for the direct stereo mode with the front speakers playing full range (no subwoofer).
However, the stereo mode of the Marantz (with the front speakers set to small, and the bass sent to the subwoofer) is lousy (when I tested the SR-7000). The sound quality is degraded noticeably. I did not notice this problem with Onkyo receivers I've audtioned. I haven't auditioned the Denon, but from what I've read it's direct mode sounds good and allows for a subwoofer in the sense that it does bass management digitally for the low pass to the sub, and it does analog high pass for the front speakers when set to small.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Brad,
My vote is with Marantz. It is very musical and the sound is more forward and exciting to me compare to Onkyo and Denon.
When I first got into HT, which is not too long ago, I started out as a big Onkyo fan. I didn't really believe that the receiver makes that much difference and boy was I wrong. Putting things in a nut shell, the reason why receiver makes a difference to how the speakers sound is due to the amp section inside it. How the amp section is designed will affect the way it handles electricity and ultimately how it sounds.
Hope this helps.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
To add to the fray, Denon, specifically the 3802 can do most of the formats, ES discreet, Matrix, DPLII and also DD 6.1. I think this is comparable to the EX but since its not a THX certified rec, they can't or will not pay money to get that on their product.
BTW, I was quite surprised that it also had spkr terminals for all 7 spkr ( 2 surround back channels )...guess I don't have to get rid of the spare surround I got.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I went with Denon when the 3801 released. The first receiver with DTS-ES discrete and a sleep timer on it, that Denon is gone. The only issue I have with the Denon is it is lacking a sleep timer. I hate the receiver just for that, however I love everything else about it. Sounds great, and I use my discrete rear center quite often (for the 4 movies
wink.gif
). I just want it to shut off on it's own while I fall asleep listening to music.
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Brad every little thing makes a difference, including cd player, cables, amp/preamp choice. Try to listen to your speakers with some different receivers and you will find one which is to your liking. Just keep in mind that some receivers will be a better "match" with your speakers than other receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks