DENON, ONKYO, H/K or Yammy-- Plus Speakers? –Starting from scratch and I am Clueless!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by stratos, Feb 6, 2004.

1. stratos

stratos Auditioning

1st post on this forum, I usually frequent some Computer forums and found Forums in general to be an invaluable source of real world product knowledge.
    I found this site a couple days ago and have been soaking up the info -At least enough to get myself into trouble! Great site--- Lots of great info here. Whole new jargon to get used too!

What I am looking for is a good HT system to use for 60% Movies and 40% Music.
    My Budget started out at $500, but has doubled to $1K maybe a little more!

What I have now-
    Sony 46” HDTV rear projection TV
    Digital and HDTV Cable box
    Panasonic Progressive DVD
    A set of Bookshelf Bose Speakers
    8 year old Onkyo stereo- not using
    1971 (the year) KLH speakers that sound great- not using
    Room Size is 15/18
    The TV is in the Corner
    Two large couches in the room along with Wall to wall Carpet.

I have listened to several systems

Onkyo 501 for $250 and a 510 for $300
    H/K AVR 230 and 130
    Denon AVR-1804 and 1604

I have listened to several speakers too

Onkyo 510 complete – I did not like them at all! $200
    BA CR75 Bookshelf- Sounded nice!
    BA CRC Center- it was ok $250
    BA VR Reference: Center Channel- nice sound $400
    Sapphire’s Center- WOW- amazing punch and crisp- $350
    Sapphires Bookshelf- very impressive- nice sound. $ Not sure
    Not too sure about the Subs yet—but I might have to hold off on that -- $!

Actually, I was temped to see what the BOSE Bookshelf sound as my fronts along with a Great Center like the Sapphire and the Denon 1604 or 1804? I figured if I just get one great piece at a time I should have a great system in no time!

I know nothing about Denon, but was impressed with them. I like the Yamaha name too- but that is all I know! Would I get the same punch with the Onkyo 501 that I heard with the Denon? I am not interested in used or refurbished stuff at this point

Thanks for any comments/opinions that anyone might have.

Also- can find a list of exactly what cables- wires I might need for my set up?

Thanks!!
    KC

2. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

For raw power avoid the Denon 1804. I own an 1803 and it lacks alot of power if you wish to crank it. Don't get me wrong though, the Denon sounds great at listening volumes (and louder volumes as well), but it's not a "party" amp *(in case that's your thing [​IMG]). Oh, it also depends on what music you like as well. The Denon sounds phenominal with Jazz/Vocal/Electronic music but lacks the bass found in alot of bass and pop tracks. Hope that helps [​IMG].

It's a great reciever but it all depends on what you lsiten to and how loud you listen to it [​IMG].

3. stratos

stratos Auditioning

When I heard the Denon 1804 with the Sapphire Fronts and Center it almost blew my socks off! I do not like it too loud at all- so that is not an issue. I like the Crisp real sound that heard when auditioning the setup- I was watching Lord of the rings- great movie to demo!

What’s the deal with Sapphire? They are a new company started by the infinity and BC guys?

4. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I have no idea. I have my Denon hooked up to a Paradigm Monitor setup and it sounds very, very "natural" and "crisp". I've heard Denon's also go well with Klipsh, Mirage, Energy, and Mission. Basically pair the Denon with any "bright" speaker and you should have a great setup.