Denon new or refurb?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric Tobias, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Eric Tobias

Eric Tobias Agent

I am a newbie on this site and need help.

I need to get a DVD player and do not have the ability to demo in the store.

I am considering the Denon 2200 or 2900?

The new 2200 is about 525-600 with the 2900 being available for 800-900 new or 700 as a refurb.

I have never bought a refurb. Any thoughts on either player and buying new vs refurb.

Thanks

Eric

2. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

I've never had issue with refurbished units as long as they include a good warranty, and are recognized by the mfgr as not being grey market.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Check the Denon site, there are a few authorized dealers for refurbished products, and they are offered with a 90-day warranty from Denon.

BTW, I have no idea what a "reburb" means with regards to these Denon products, and a query I sent to them didn't yield a response.

4. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

I have purchased 2 Denon refub units from ecost.com. First was the 1600, and it worked great until it was stolen. I now have the Denon 2900, and it also works great. I just purchased the extended warranty from Ecost.com to be "safe".

Kimo B.

5. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

refurbished means that the unit was returned by the original purchaser, for whatever reason, be it general dissatisfaction, a bad unit, or an inability to use it properly, and it was checked out, bad parts were replaced if need be, and it was repackaged as if new, but having had this happen, the unit can no longer be re-sold as "new in box" so it gets the refurb status.
    I deal with this a lot in computers as well for things like CRTs.

6. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    I bought a refurbished 1600 months ago and have had NO problems with it. For $249 from E-cost, it was a steal!

Jeff

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

They had a few in stock a few weeks ago, and it would have come out to just over $400 shipped to me here (CAD$), but the warranty is no good. From what the Denon Canada guy told me, they don't even sell refurb stuff in Canada. Kind of a bummer, since I can't really shell out much more than that at this point, having exceeded my budget on other components.