What's new

Denon Nakamichi or Harmon Kardon? (1 Viewer)

I'm just about to plunk money down on the Denon 4802, but a freind at work brought into question it's Amp sections comparability to the Nakamichi, and Harmon Kardon brands...
He mentioned something about "High Bandwidth" in relation to it's power supply... And a stat with an anachronim "TIM".
Does anyone know what these features and measurments are?
Does the Denon 4802 have Glass epoxy "high end" circuit boards? do the other brands?
Any info rendered in the cause of helping my decide would be greatly appreciated...
Doug

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Does HK or Nakamichi have anything comparable to the feature set of the 4802?
Take a look at this forum- Denon is probably the most popular receiver brand. Personally, I've been buying Denon for 14 years, and I've yet to be disappointed.
The 4800 was an outstanding receiver, and the package "delivered the goods," so to speak. Check the archives. I would think the 4802 will be similar (with regard to power and sound), but take it up a notch with features. (dts-es and DPLII)
Glass Epoxy boards? Are you looking to drop test it??
biggrin.gif
It's about 50lbs, so watch your toes!
eek.gif

TIM doesn't ring a bell.
Todd

JohanK

Second Unit
TIM is Transient InterModulation distortion (sometimes called TID). It is usually unmeasurable. Supposedly,, in layman's terms, when transients occur, the amplifier has a difficult time to adapt so distortion occurs.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Let me start by saying that I have the Nakamichi AV-8, which I love. That being said, the top of the line Nak, the AV10 is probably comparable, at BEST, to the Denon AVR 3801(IMO). While Nakamichi makes a fine product, Denon, especially the higher models like the 4800 and up, are far superior(IMHO). Just my 2cents worth.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
[Edited last by Richard Travale on August 18, 2001 at 01:14 PM]

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
If you're not looking for every bell and whistle available, the Nak is more than sufficient. I've owned the Nak AV-10 for more than two years and I have not regretted the purchase a single day. For me, DTS and DD 5.1 is all I wanted. I have no need for 6.1, 7.1 etc. etc. etc. I chose the Nak specifically because of its great 2-channel performance. I felt it beat the Denon 3300 hands-down at the time. Can't comment on the 3801 since I haven't heard it. Good Luck!

TomH

Second Unit
There has been a history of posts regarding the reliability of the HK products. Also, keep in mind that there is an entire "low end/low quality" line of Nak products that are sold at places like Best Buy.

TadB

Auditioning
I too own a Nakamichi AV-8 and love it. If you are looking for a receiver which is fabulous with 2-channel, look no further. It is just as great a performer with movies. I listened to Denon,Marantz,Integra and Rotel and every time I auditioned the Nak it was as though a veil had been lifted from the music and I was hearing it for the first time. The AV-8 has been disc. but the AV-10 is still available. Good luck and happy listening!

Thanks for your input guys...I really appreciate it.
I'm now leaning towards the Denon 4802 simply because I can get it at cost. My freind makes high end audio speakers, so I'm having him put some Scan Speaks in a box with a nice crossover all together for me...
You guys should hear his system with the Scan Speaks and the Threshold amp he's got... HOLY SMOKE!
I'll post pics eventually.
Thanks again,
Doug
[Edited last by Doug Broccone on August 19, 2001 at 03:28 AM]

Luis M

Second Unit
Hello there Doug. I am planning to get the Denon 4802 myself, I won't be paying cost. but Since I can negotiate prices with my local dealer, maybe you could help and let me know about what you are going to pay at the cost point? Thank you, Luis. [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks