Denon model number confusion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allen Longcor, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

While browsing ebay and other online sites I've come across some Denon's that have a different model numbering than the convential line they have. The models are 885, 485, 985, and the like. They seem to have specs that are the same as the other line but I was wondering why they are numbered differently. Can someone enlighten me? Also, if they are the same basic product, could you post a link that shows which model matches up with which ie 885 = 2105.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I never understood why they did that either, may be different models for different markets, or different vendors. The units are basically identical AFAIK, just like Yamaha and the HTR vs RXV lines, which have more or less identical specs, but different warranty period and are sold in different stores (RXV being considered upscale). They way it worked previously: 1082 = 3802, so that should give you a clue as to how the current numbers compare. So probably 985 = 2805, 885 = 2105, but don't quote me on that, cuz I'm not certain.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The 985 is a 2805. I used a 2805 before I got my HK and the owner's manual said 2805/985 right on the cover. Nowhere inside was there any reference to any difference between the 2.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Installer "specialty" series vs. consumer series.
    Different model numbers help you keep track of both areas and not have to pricematch if so inclined.
    They cost the same. There is more "playing around" with prices in the specialty series.
    I prefer selling the consumer series due to "higher" model numbers and better resale. Some businesses can only get one or the other.
    Some companies are not limited.