What's new

Denon might agree that separates are the answer in 2004 (1 Viewer)

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
High Fidelity Review's early scoop from the show is "Denon Separates"

Between those and the 5800/03 series I guess the upscle bases are covered. Or are they? The equipment reviewers are going to have a ball.

Was it here that I predicted this last summer?

Peter m.

Well ... yes ... sort of.

Aren't the Denon separates their "cost no object" statement pieces that no one can really afford ??

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Peter,
I guess cost no object is a relative thing. If you were to pay full retail in Canada the 5803 is $6800 + 15% tax. If (as many people do for this unit) you pay to have it setup and calibrated similar to ISF for a HD tv the total cost could be over $8000cdn without cables.

It will be interesting to see how this pair is price pointed but since (according to an advetisement at Crutchfield's) there is a 5803A which has DPL IIx (whoopeee!!!) these separates are not a replacement to the one box solution, they are in addition to. I love guessing so $10,000US for the pair is my call.

If I decided I wanted to upgrade my Totem Model 1's to the Mani 2's the 170w in the reciever wouldn't be enough, (according to both Denon and Totem), so I would be in the market for an amp with Balanced inputs. I guess the first place I would look would now be at Denon. Then I'd look at my bank account and cry.

Peter m.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Not to dredge up old history, but...

Maybe 2 years ago, Denon announced that they would do 2 pre/pros, one cost-no-object, and one more reasonably priced.

Maybe this is the year... But unfortunately, a lot of us who would be interested in stuff like this, have already bought something else! :)

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I must have missed the HTF membership power buy, because I am among the few who are still interested in hearing what Denon has to offer.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve,
There's much more than a few people.

Denon started to get pretty good at figuring out what the market wanted in the last few years. Now through some seemingly smart aquisitions under D&M Holdings they might be able to take the market where ever they want.

It will be interesting to see which companies aside from Denon make a big impression from new product introductions at CES.

Peter,

If your guess of 10k is for the audio processor / video processor and amp I think you're a bit light. My guess is 12k to 15k.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
We both might be lite by about half, I just read "elsewhere" that including the new dvd combi player it was $25k US. Of course I also read that it's a low jitter transport.

Peter m.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry tobe cloke and dagger but I think it is here that if I mention AVS forum it gets deleted.

but maybee not

Peter m.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Saw these units at the CES - I was told price TBD but will be stratospheric. They looked expensive...

John

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Why does Denon offering separates somehow signify that they believe that separates are "the answer" to anything other than filling a small but growing and profitable market niche? They probably see that there is a growing acceptance of/desire for separate components and are acting to fill that growing demand. It doesn't mean that they are "the answer" (by the way, what was the question?) any more than Porsche building the Cayenne means that Porsche believes that SUV's are "the answer" to all automotive needs - it's purely a business decision AFAIK.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I guess the way that I interpreted it was that Denon was finally going to get on the separates bandwagon ... finally.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chuck.

It was just a way to open the subject. By adding separates in 2004 Denon supplies an answer to those who insist on never using a reciever. There's no hidden code.

Peter m.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks