What's new

Denon LOST my 3800! (1 Viewer)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
We're all aware of the often debated Denon policy of not honoring the warranty on goods purchased from unauthorized dealers. I'm beginning to think the Emperor has no clothes and now the policy carries less weight. :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Michael, I hope when you talked to the Service Manager you also got the name of his boss. Whenever I talk to someone from a company, no matter what it's about I learned a long time ago to always get the persons full name I am talking to & their bosses name as well. That way if you don't get any satisfaction you can just keep going up the ladder to you get to the top. It also lets them know how each person is treating their customers. The biggest threat that I know of that really scares companies is to have a Consumer Reporter for a tv station call them & boy do they act quickly to fix things. They don't want to see their company being bad named on some tv news program. If I was you at this time I would see how the service manager handles it for you but I would'nt give him all kinds of time & if he can't handle it between the sales dept. & etc ask for the person who can make a decision on it right away not tomorrow or the next day. Good Luck & I hope it works out for you :emoji_thumbsup: & keep us posted.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I promise you Bill, that won’t work with Denon. All you get there is the next apathetic idiot in line. During my ordeal I sent more than one letter to the president of Denon USA, and every one went unanswered – not even a stock reply or form letter!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Wayne, Letters can end up in a basket too quickly & I can't believe that everyone at Denon doesn't care about their customers. When you din't get any satisfaction from Denon what other steps did you take? If it was nothing? then you droped the ball & let some lower employee decide it for you & you let them get away with it which they were counting on. Again, look for a Consumer Reporter at a local TV Station or Newspaer to help you when all else fails & you would be surprised how much they love doing it, but you have to be right & in your case of just writing letters Denon will say they never got them but they will make good on it just to avoid the bad PR. As for the Station or Newspaper it only makes them look good & it's good PR for them & it doesn't cost you anything & all they can do is say no. But don't write them, get the Consumer Reporter on the phone. Also if you know any executive in a company, there is a corperate phone book out there that lists ALL the top exec's phone numbers & they can get you the person & phone number you want. I once had a problem with Ford Motor Company & I ended up getting Lee Iococca the president of Ford at the time on the phone & he solved my problem in 10 seconds & he din't seem too happy about the treatment I had received either & that he had to be listening to some unhappy customer that someone should have taken care of & I'll bet a bunch of people were in big trouble after he hung up the phone with me.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bill,

I’ve dealt with a number of companies over the years, including Nakamichi, Zenith, Yamaha and Sony and have always gotten satisfaction from the customer service supervisor. Only in a couple of instances did I have to go higher. I have never had a letter of complaint totally ignored, especially more than once, except at Denon.

At Denon I repeatedly dealt with people on the phone who were rude, or uncooperative, or generally apathetic and unhelpful. The customer service manager had a fondness for returning messages at the specific times I said I would be out (I’m talking repeatedly). On one occasion after a “repair” (and I use the word lightly) my equipment had to be returned twice under the warranty window (!), and both times they refused to pick up the freight. After getting no response from the company president at the New Jersey office, I sent a letter to HQ in Japan, which got no response there either - I guess the sushi doesn’t fall far from the tree.

It never occurred to me to pursue them from a PR angle, but I expect it will take a lot more than something like this to get the attention of a TV station in a market as large as Houston.

I think I mentioned, at the time I was working at a Denon dealer who sold their pro-audio equipment, so I got the gear directly from them at wholesale. Which was certainly nice, but it meant that I didn’t have a dealer running interference for me. By the way, our purchasing agent told he hated dealing with their people in NJ, too.

And – another pro audio company I worked for a few years later, the owner had done an installation in Parsippany, NJ, and a Denon pro cassette deck he had spec’d for the job was dead right out of the box. Since Denon’s national HQ was right down the road, it took it there and asked for a replacement. They flat-out refused.

By the way, I notice a conspicuous absence of people coming to Denon’s defense with stories of their pleasant experiences in dealing directly with them. Does that tell you anything? :frowning:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael_V

Second Unit
Thanks for the continued interested, guys!

I got a message on my machine yesterday morning from Randy (the head of the Service Department there) just saying he was "calling about my DVD player." I left a return message telling him when I would call him back (to account for the 17 hour time difference) but he was unavailable when I did, so no resolution so far. I will try again tomorrow.

The TV angle is a good one, and I just may go that route if they force my hand. Good to know that kind of resource exists if you need it.

Still hoping mine will end as a "positive customer service experience" with Denon but confidence is flagging.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
PR gets any companies attention really fast ;) Michael I hope it works out ok & if the Service Manager can't help you out I'll bet it will really piss him off that he's working for an outfit that's putting him in a bad light. I myself would hate to be working for a company like that.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the first part. But the second part is unlikely. Based on the comments here, he'll be lucky to get a refurbed 3800.

Michael, is filing in small claims court out of the question in Okinawa? Does Denon have an authorized distributor there?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You might want to send someone at Denon U.S. a link to this thread, advising him or her that this is a board of nearly 44,000 members. May not work, but at least it's a shot. This is inexcusable. And I like Denon.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
COnsidering the way they have treated you, I would give them two options: refund your full purchase price and shipoping charges, or send you a spanking new 3800 ASAP. The way they have treated you because of their mishandling is just unacceptable.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
FWIW, Denon has been in the process of relocating their service center for the past couple months, and product back in for repair has been backlogged significantly. I work in a B&M that sells denon. Our normal turn around from repair with denon was about 3-5 weeks. But ever since late september, it has incresed to as much as 2 months. It really sucks.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Well, it seems things are turning around at Denon California! My faith in corporate America in general and Denon in particular has been restored! They DO care about their customers!

I got a phone call from Randy Lam, service manager at the California factory. He said they were sending out a new 5900 to replace the 3800 that was lost.

Hallelujah!

I will keep all posted on its arrival and so on but right now you can count me an extremely satisfied customer!

Kudos to Denon for stepping up to the plate on this one!

:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
congrats on the fine upgrade, but being a long time denon customer myself, i would hardly say kudos to denon after that inexcusable ordeal that you went through...

BobK

Grip
I was pretty upset when I read this thread, so I sent a note to the U.S. President of Denon (through the Denon Website). I got a reply that it was forwarded, so I'll post any response I get.

Here is the note and response to date:

Dear Bob,

I have forwarded your e-mail to the President of Denon
for review and we thank you for your information and concern.
I am sure proper resolution will be administered to this situation.

Best Regards,

J. McGuinness
Denon Electronics (USA), LLC
19 Chapin Road, Building C
Pine Brook, N.J. 07058-9777
[email protected]
(973) 396-0810 Main
(973) 396-7492 Direct
(973) 396-7459 Fax
www.usa.denon.com

-------------------------------------------

The information contained in this E-mail
message is privileged, confidential, and may
be protected from disclosure; please be
aware that any other use, printing, copying,
disclosure or dissemination of this
communication may be subject to legal
restriction or sanction. If you think
that you have received this E-mail message
in error, please reply to the sender.

This E-mail message and any attachments have
been scanned for viruses and are believed to
be free of any virus or other defect that
might affect any computer system into which
it is received and opened. However, it is
the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no
responsibility is accepted by Denon
Electronics (USA), LLC for any loss or
damage arising in any way from its use.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:53 PM
To: Jim McGuinness
Subject: Denon LOST my 3800!

Hello The President of Denon U.S.,

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ferrerid=26501

I have a number of Denon Products, from an older AVR 3000 to a 4802 receiver, a CD player, etc. If I ever need service help, I hope I am not treated like this gentleman has been. The Web site he is voicing his concern on has over 44,000 members who usually purchase a considerable number of pieces of audio equipment each year.

This does not speak well of Denon.

The incredible thing I pick up from this thread is that no one is defending Denon as a company that is known for service. Looks like that part of the company may need some review. Today with very competitive products in the home audio marketplace, service is one of the few things that can separate you from the competition.

Good Luck

From,
Bob Keister
Fort Wayne, IN

mailto:[email protected]

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent news! Upgrading to a 5900 is certainly going beyond the call of duty. I might just be buying thet 2200 or 2900 after all. Please let us know when you finally receive your receiver.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bob, terrific letter. Keep us updated (you can start a new thread if you want).

Michael, you finally got the results you deserve. Congratulations. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would say that Denon does care about their customers & it's probably the move of the Repair Center that got things all screwed up but it's something that Denon should take a look at if they have any other kinds of moves in the works that might affect Customer Service & also they should take a look at other customers that might still be afftected by the move & be in limbo with their gear at this time & Congrats to the Service Manager who followed through on it & I would send the Denon brass a letter letting them know that they have a good enployee that is trying to take care of their customers.

Michael_V

Second Unit
First of all, THANKS TO EVERYONE for your concern! And great letter, Bob! You may be responsible for my upgrade! THANK YOU!

Well, the 5900 came in today and all I can say is GLORY HALLELUJAH. I have been in this hobby for some time now and have owned a number of high-end players, and I can honestly and unequivocally say that IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS. This is clearly the finest picture I have ever seen from a DVD player, and I'm not even using the DVI connection. My Panasonic plasma looks absolutely amazing! It is also the finest sound I have heard, and my system is no slouch (Anthem AVM 20 into Studio 40s). I just have to give Denon props not only for crafting such a superb piece of hardware, but for caring enough about their customers to go the extra mile. Simply outstanding!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, can they loose a lower end player for me as well! lol

I drool for your new 5900.... I'll give Denon balls for that one as well, that ends up being some of the best customer service I have ever heard of, with such an issue.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what a cool ending. Glad you enjoy your player. I hope we get more threads like this in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sound4rv
Recent bookmarks