What's new

Denon, JBL- 1st Home Theater (1 Viewer)

tim_Neil

Agent
Since I received most of my answers from this forum... I thought I would post here:

I made the plunge and bought the first few components of my starter home theater setup (on Saturday!). I have been a member on this site since June/July and many of you helped me with my selection. I am so very happy with what I purchased (thank you Home Theater Forum Members).
It was quite funny in the last couple months concerning salesman at Best Buy, Circuit City and Soundtrack: It seems they are little or sometimes no help when asked challenging questions. I would sift through the posts here to find out my answers and I ALWAYS found an answer somewhere. It was bothersome to go to the store and find out NOTHING from the salespeople.
I have a budget setup (Ihave had NOTHING for the last 5 months of research):

---Denon 1803 receiver- Will be put to the test tomorrow night when I receive all of my speakers.
---JBL s38's (1 pair here... 1 pair to arrive tomorrow for the surround speakers)These were such an awesome choice. The sound is great from this 3 way speaker!I'm anxious to see how they perform as surrounds!
---S-Center (on its way) From what I heard... its going to sound great.
--- No sub at this time
I will update when I get it all put together.

I do have a couple quick questions:
What kind of speaker should I use for my 6th rear channel (es/ex)?

Unfortunately, I am using a Cheapo tv and DVD player (my parents shop cheap for Xmas) The tv is an old RCA (with only a coaxial output.... yuck!) The DVD is a LASONIC???? I have never heard of this brand before. Its a horrible dvd player but it does have a digital audio output (coaxial). My question is: Should I use my playstation2 as my DVD or stick with the Lasonic (I will get a Sony 755 w/SACD capabilities soon)? I can't really tell the difference in the audio output (sounds pretty good to me). I can't even tell if it will output DTS.

Third and final question: Which Digital audio format is better, optic cable or coaxial?
Why?

Thanks again HTF! You have all been so helpful and have made me a very happy man!

T

Hank_P

Second Unit
I will second what Phil said. If $$ is a little tight at the moment, you could go with the N-Center for the rear. And as far as digital output.. I went coax... again as a preference based on my other equipment and options. Enjoy, you have some great new toys to play with.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Tim,
I would suggest putting the 6th channel on hold and going for a low cost subwoofer instead. The benefit in sound going from 5.1 -> 6.1 is not as big as going from 5.1 -> 5.1 with powered subwoofer. That bass really fills out the sound in the Home Theater.
I would suggest looking at the Sony SW-40, which can be demoed at BestBuy and sells for $130-200 (online vs. BestBuy). If you take the stock unit and fill it with a little poly-fill from Walmart ($1.99), it will insulate the case and it sounds like a $350 subwoofer. I have one matched with my JBL S speakers and it's a peach (5.1 setup ;))

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will get a Sony 755 w/SACD capabilities soon
If all you want is SACD, then get an SACD player, as the 755 will likely not even work in your setup if you don't also upgrade your TV. Without an HD capable TV, you would be missing out on the progressive capability, and essentially defeating the purpose of this player, not to mention you will need an adapter just to get an interlaced image through a coax connection from this player.

I prefer coaxial digital because the cables are less prone to damage. Sound wise, there should be no meaningful difference. The PS2 is not a very good DVD player.

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I'll chime in on the PS2 as a DVD Player. It performs about as well as a very basic player but most of today's $99 models should stomp it in the performance dept. I use mine in the bedroom and dont have any PQ issues but it's a 20 inch set and we are about 12 feet away.

As far as DTS is concerned, the PS2 will output a DTS signal if your standalone player is lacking. Just look for the logo on the front of the player. To use DTS with the PS2, as with most players, you have to enable it in the setup menu.

If you do decide to use the PS2 temporarily, get the $20 remote. It's well worth the money.

tim_Neil

Agent
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!!

Can you switch the PS2 to DTS with the game controller... I guess I haven't really messed with it much as a dvd player?

Great advice about the DVD player. I will be getting a 27" or 32" Sony Wega FD soon so now I know what order to buy these.

Once again... Thanks!

Tim

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Cool setup, Tim. My first home theater consists of an 1802 and four S26II's with an S-Center. I'm almost finished with my tv stand, and everything will be run to most likely a Toshiba 27AF42. I'll probably pick up a Panasonic RP82 down the road as well.

EdAngell

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

How about a review of the receiver/speaker combo?

I just bought 2 pairs of S38IIs and 2 S-Centers (plus a Sony SA-WM40 Sub) myself for 6.1 surround. I was going to buy the Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver to go with it but they ran out of stock before the order shipped. At the same time, I had read some negative comments on the Onkyo's power output (and that it blew someone's speakers) and decided to keep looking.

The Denon 1803, Pioneer 811s, Kenwood 6070, and Sony 2ES are all in consideration now. Since you have pretty much the exact speaker setup that I have, your opinions on the Denon/JBL combo would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

tim_Neil

Agent
In regards to your request for a review... I must start by saying my knowlege is novice at best HOWEVER:

I am so pleased with the combination of Receiever/Speaker. The warm sound of the Denon combined with the bright sounds of the JBL seem to balace perfectly... and the receiver allows for plenty of modification. I ahev only been able to play my music at -05 db on the 1803... it shakes the whole complex... (and I don't have a sub). The clarity is nice and I can modify any level to suit my needs. I know this sounds really strange but I bought Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (for nostalgia's sake) and I sat with a smile on my face the entire time. The music on the DVD came through surround and reminded me of sitting in the theater the fist time it was released.

There is plenty of versatility with the speakers to the the receiver... I believe you can really push these suckers without much worry. For the money I think JBLs really pack a large sound. I am excited to get my sub!
I hope this helps a little... As I am still testing the sutup's limits. Oh... and even though I have read a lot of complaints about the Denon's manual, I haven't had a problem yet. Any queation I have had has been answered in there (in relation to the receiver) The auto detct is so convenient in order to pick up the technology that is being sent from the DVD.
I am VERY happy!
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks