Denon is strange

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AntonS, Feb 19, 2002.

1. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

It looks like Denon will have absolutely killer processor in the 5803. Every possible feature, excellent DSP and DACs (Denon is famous for pure direct sound), THX Ultra 2 certified, including complete set of video conversions.

Now, they have crossed $4000 barrier with the price, targeting mainly audiophiles, not ordinary buyers. At this price point many of us start looking at separates. I personally would not spend $4K on a receiver.

So why the hell Denon would not split 5803 in half, make a pre/pro and an amp (may as well add more power to it as it will not be limited by one power supply), and sell each unit for around $2200? Beats me...

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I agree. Can you imagine a 5803 pre/pro with an MSRP of $2200??? It would sell like hotcakes!

3. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

This is such an obvious question I don't know why the Japanese have not attacked this with any enthusiasm (they tend to attack suitable market segments with some force as you are all aware).

So far we have the Sony TA-E9000es and the Onkyo Integra Research RDC-7 (and the Sherwood AVP-9080 and maybe the Marantz AV-9000 is you are so inclined).

I wonder why Denon, Yamaha and perhaps Onkyo proper do not make an obvious step?

I know I would like a Yamaha processor at the very least.

T.

4. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

If you split the 5803 into a pre pro and an amp, the cost of each would more closely approximate the cost of the 5803 rather than half. Taking out the amps and associated parts reduces some costs, but other costs such as engineering, design, development, marketing, shipping, and administration remain and could actualy be higher if the pre pro didn't outsell the A/V receiver. If Denon wished to enter the pre pro market, it would be better served by designing a unit from the gound up with a specific price point and features in mind.

Best regards-Henry

5. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Just because the list price will be $4k + doesn't mean you have to pay that much I recently bought the new Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX that lists for $4.5k for $2,200. I realize you are also wondering about the seperates issue etc but just thought I'd point out the list prices are always alot higher than what you should actually pay.