What's new

Denon in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
An AV store near me is clearing out some of their demo stock on Denon stuff. I was wondering if $1750 Canadian is worth it for a 3801 demo? The price seemed rather high. I was need a new receiver but I wasn't quite ready to buy yet. However if this is a good price I may jump at it.
Thanks

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator
That price does seem to be quite high as I've seen the 3801 retail for $1899 quite often. I would think a demo price should be lower.
Greg

Miles_W

Second Unit
Elliott,
how is it going? not to start a flame war or anything... just keep saving. Skip a generation or 2 and get separates
biggrin.gif

Miles
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

DavidY

Supporting Actor
CDN$1750 is still too pricey for a 3801 IMO. A lousy 10% discount is not a bargain for either current or discontinued models. At that price, I would consider the latest model, 3802, instead.
Dave

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I guess I'll keep shopping around. I went to the store on a whim because they rearely advertise and I thought I may get a good deal. I'll just keep on looking.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thats too much. I heard they retailed for $1800.00 and was told they can be had for $1600.00. I think Kennedy Hi-Fi in Markham has them for $1600.00. Not positive. I'll check.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I forgot to mention that the store actually was Kennedy Hi-Fi. I went in and spent about an hour comparing the 3801 to the 2801. The 3801 sounded better but the salesman kept saying there was no difference, which kind of pissed me off. He assumed I could only afford the 2801 and then tried to push me into it. I even walked out when I heard that price saying I would have to think about it and they did not change.
If the price was low enough, I would have bought and kept it as a potential pre amp.
Although he ruined the sale when he played a parasound amp. The sound killed both receivers so I decided I need to shop around more.

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
I also live in Toronto and have visited Kenedy Hi-Fi, Bay Bloor Radio and Regency Audio. I wasn't impressed with the service at any of these stores - Bay Bloor being the best.
Today, I made a day trip to Kitchener (about 1 hr away) and visited Steve's TV. I was floored by the level of service provided by Jay Hough. However, they have an awsome setup to test different speakers in the same room with the same receiver.
Anyways, back to the point of this thread. I asked about the 3801 and he said they were selling them as low as $1500 or $1600 brand new.
You might want to give him a call at 519-744-3528.
Their web address is http://www.stevestv.com/sales.html
Good luck and keep me informed. Let me know if you find a good dealer in Toronto.
Edmond

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Is it really worth it buying a 3801 through Canada? I got mine through the states and paid like $850 us and I ended up saving over $1000 CAD by the time taxes were added up.
On the other hand if I was ordering something like a 65" HDTV widescreen unit I would order locally for that added security.
Aaron

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Aaron,
Shopping through the states for electronic gear and other stuff can fetch some assume deals. I was able too pickup the Lens Kit for my Kodak Digital DC4800 camera for $140 less than in Canada. But it does come with some draw backs. Warranty!! I maybe mistaken but the warranty of the Denon 3801 maybe not valid in Canada, so any problems would have to be dealt with the US e-tailer.
Kevin

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I'll likely purchase the 3802 from the U.S. for US$850 which @1.55 exchange including tax/duty with a 7 day stay in the U.S. is around CDN$1400. This compares to CDN$1800 + tax = CDN$2070 in Canada.
Edmond

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I have not looked into mail order from the US because I have not found a store which I trust. As well, I do order smaller things from the US and customs always nails me with duty. What stores do you guys recommend?
Thanks

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Do yourself a favour and go to Link Removed and sign up, it's free. This service will let you shop at various US e-tailers and will give you a quote for the item(s) that you are interested in with all taxes, duties and shipping charges INCLUDED!. However, I'd ask Denon about the warranty because some manufacturers don't honour the warranty if their products are not bought from within the country that they are being warranteed in.
FWIW, I called an authorized Denon retailer and asked about the new 3802 A/V receiver and was told that they had one in stock for $1799. Definitely, 3801s, if they are still available can be found for at least a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks