What's new

Denon has 3 in/1 out for component video - who else! (1 Viewer)

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Nothing of use to add directly to the discussion, but kind of a side-comment. The 3->1 component switching seems to be abit too little too late. If it was available for reasonable prices 2 years ago it would have been more useful. Now I'd be seriously thinking about 3->1 (or more) HDMI switching.
The only time DVI/HDMI won't be appreciably better than component is on CRT based displays. For any type of fixed pixel display you really want a digital connection, and unfortunately most displays these days only have a single DVI or HDMI input.
Also, with digital signal switching you don't have to worry about signal degredation by going through the reciever or pre/pro. So you can have convenience and quality at the same time.

For my next reciever or pre/pro (which admittedly won't be for awhile) I'd be looking for something on the order of 4->2 HDMI switching, with everything upconverted to HDMI for single-connection ease. I'd also expect it to optionally pull the digital audio off the HDMI cable, so sources could be connected with only a single cable.
Hopefully that isn't just whishful thinking...

Now back to your regularly schedule programming :)
-- Dave

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
OK, now I do have something useful to add :)
I got curious so I did alittle looking, and it seems that alot of the new Onkyo's have 3->1 component switching. Specifically Onecall has the TXSR602 listed for $450, and the TXSR702 for $720. You might be able to do even better than that elsewhere, but that's a good starting point (especially with their $25 coupon right now).

-- Dave

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
The JVC RX-DP20 THX Ultra 2 receiver has 3 component ins and video conversion. It lists for $1700, but I read a post somewhere about someone finding a refurbished unit.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
The Kenwood VR-8070 has three component inputs and lists at $600. It's $499 at Crutchfield, about $335 on eBay.

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks