Denon Freezing Up, Wont Turn On/Off...Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Higgins, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Rob Higgins

Rob Higgins Agent

A few weeks ago my Denon 3801 froze up...wouldn't turn off, change settings / modes, etc. Finally was able to turn off somehow...but then wouldn't turn back on later.

I initialized / reset the microprocessor as outlined in the manual by unplugging, holding Auto and PCM buttons, and plugging back in. I was able to get the receiver back on by doing this. Only problem is all settings get erased, and had to go back and customize the settings I had initially (channel level, speaker spacing, speaker size, etc).

Happened again last night. Was watching a movie, and went to turn off the receiver...and froze up again. Ended up restetting the microprocessor again.

Has anybody run into a similar issue with any Denon model. It's still under warranty, but unhooking all the connections and taking in for repair (no telling how long that would take), then hooking back up is a pain. At the same time, resetting the microprocessor and having to subsequently reset all settings isn't that sweet either.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and what they did.

Thanks,

Rob

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I suggest you not waste anymore time and send the receiver in for repairs. Seems to me that the processor is freezing up. Good Luck.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I would closely look at the back panel and make sure that no connections are shorting (esp. the speaker connections). A single strand of speaker wire could cause a problem. Also, do you have adequate ventilation (4-5") for the unit? If the connections look good then I'd send the unit in for repair...

4. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I'd check the connections too. My 3802 kept shutting off, it turned out to be a problem with the jacks on my rear center speaker. I had to disconnect the wires at the speaker and reconnect them again to fix the problem.