Denon DVM-4800 Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I'm strongly considering this DVD changer as it will match my 2802 receiver. However there are a few questions that I have.

1) Denon mentions that there are bass management features for DVD-A on this unit. What kinds of features does this include? (ie. crossover for small speakers, adjustable crossover?)

2) Is this a good progressive scan player? (ie. chroma bug?)

3) If DVD-A goes under (hopefully not) can this unit still be used as a high quality CD changer?

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Those are good questions,and since I'm looking into this changer myself I was puzzled,that Denon's website was not much help regarding the bass managment issue.

My impression is that it sums all the bass from the 5 channels,and send it to the sub,but not sure if there is a HP filter as weel for the 5 main channels as well.

Does anyone know about this for sure?

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Hi guys,

I think Keith H. has a couple of these units. You may want to track him down or search for his "review post" of the 4800. From what I remember, it uses a newer Genesis chip than the RP-91, is chroma bug free, and it will do the scaling of non-anamorphic titles like the RP-91. The bass management seemed to work pretty slick, but again, you'll have to chat with Keith.

Keith, if it wasn't you....sorry. Someone recently bought two of these and if you look it up, you'll find out.

Jeremy

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

5. Paul Chalk

So what frequencies are sent to the sub?

6. Adrian Ballard

Adrian Ballard Auditioning

80 kHz and below I believe. And Beware....there is a glitch in the progressive output when the scaling feature is used. The video 'drops out' for a second at intermittent intervals. Both myself and Michael Lee have contacted various people at Denon to find out if a fix is available or on it's way and have gotten the run-around. I've seen this problem on 3 different units and Mr. Lee has seen it on 7+. And, no matter what a dealer tells you, the problem is not isolated to the first run batch and there are no units currently available without this problem. If Denon would address this one error I would love this machine but currently cannot.[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Hi Adrian. If someone is using a 16:9 set will these dropouts be a problem for them??

Thanks!!

-- John

8. Paul Chalk

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

No bueno!

Thanks for the answers though!

10. John Murphy

John Murphy Auditioning

I have one and I am happy with it. It does not have the chroma bug, and as I do not zoom the picture I have not had a problem. The audio stage is top notch and has grreat response. Love the new DVD audio![​IMG] Bass managment works good, but is fixed. I have no problem with or without the bass managment.

11. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Thanks for the info John.

Can you explain to me exactly what is meant by "zooming the picture"??

I honestly do not know when this would be done, on what type of material and what type of TV.

Take care,

-- John

12. Paul Chalk

So it's fixed at 80 Hz?

13. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

14. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Sorry guys, I meant Michael Lee, not Keith H. My bad

Regardless of what the crossover is, it's better than most you'll find on the market at this time. You could always add an ICBM from Outlaw and completely bypass the bass management (or lack thereof) of any DVD-Audio player. It seems like no matter what kind of bass management the DVD-A players have, the ICBM is the best option.

Jeremy