denon dvm 1805?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george king, Jan 31, 2003.

1. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I got the Crutchfield catalog and saw this, and then checked it out at the Denon website. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Is this a 1600 in changer format? The specs look close (with the excecption of DVD-A, which I do not need).

Thanks

2. doug holly

doug holly Auditioning

Exchanged 1st unit due to random subtitles problem. 2nd unit has same problem. Waiting to hear back from Denon.
    click for more

3. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

It's based on the Denon 900. Has the inferior mpeg decoder of the Panasonic RP62. No DVD-Audio. Much better player for the same price is the Yamaha C920/C6480, but it has no remote power on/off.

Tim

[edit]
    Okay, now I remember what the problem was. The mpeg decoder used on the Denon 900/1805 has the chroma bug. It would likely be masked effectively by the DCDi deinterlacer, but you also want to make sure CCS (Cross Color Suppression) is turned off so you won't get the flicker bug.

4. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I learned a little more for you fromhere. I know this thread is about the Denon 900, but the 1805 is basically a 5-disc 900. You might want to note that DenonJeff says it does not have the chroma bug, has CCS turned off, but doesn't play VCDs.

Hope this helps,

Tim

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies.