What's new

Denon DVD910. Is it good? (1 Viewer)

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody have any clue about the quality of this player? Supposedly it comes with Faroudja de-interlacer but does it de-interlace using flag or by checking the 2:3 cadence?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The newer Denon DVD-910 and DVD-1200 have Faroudja but are inferior design to the older DVD-1600. The newer models have a worse high frequency response resulting in a softer image compared to the sharper image of the 1600. The newer models also use an inferior MPEG decoder chip and have a color flicker issue on the top and bottom edges of saturated color areas. You would be better off buying a new Denon DVD-1600 for around $300 at Crutchfield.

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just me or anybody else see the curious similarities between Denon 1600 and Panasonic RP-56? The remotes, button locations, FL display, they are all identical to the Panasonic.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Curious? Its well known that the Denon DVD-1600 is based on a Panasonic design but with a more advanced audio section.

matt-f

Second Unit
Cahyo,

The RP56, which I have(gotten for free) uses the Sage/FLI has a weaker mpeg decoder than that of the DVD-1600/RP82(I also own the RP82 as well) which uses Genesis/FLI resulting in a better picture which is noticable.

With the RP56, you get a good quality for the price since it will beat dvd players which you see at Best Buy/Future Shop since those don't have FLI. If you want to go all out on the dvd player, then stick with the DVD-1600/RP82.

Also look at the DVD shootout here.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

Hope this helps.
--
Don,

Yes it is true, the Denon would be slightly better for sound than the Panasonic because the 1600 is using brown outs. Still the Panasonic's sound is very good therefore, should not be considered as a factor, not to recommend the RP82. Also since I think the sound part is only for the analog side, you can still use a theater reciever which will beat out both of them when you hook it digitally.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I agree. I personally snapped up a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY, since I am only using the digital audio output to my Denon DD/DTS receiver.

matt-f

Second Unit
Sounds like a good setup. I personally perfer going with the 82 because the coax output is there when I actually get a Hardmon Kardon AVR 525 one day. Just building my home theater very slowly since I'm a student at the UW.

I'm only using analog connection and using Acoustic Research Master Series Coax cables on my dvd players and the sounds from the unit is very nice - RP82 sounding the nicest of all, followed by the 56.

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
Drew, where in Canada I can find the 910? Around my area I can't find any.

As far as 1600 goes, well that thing is just beyond my price range. It can be bought for cheaper through the net but with my luck, I'll get a lemon and get stuck with a unit without any Canadian warranty.

Jeff Gregory

Auditioning
Well, I know Bay Bloor Radio has the 910, they have it listed for $450. There is a place in Concord (Hwy 400 & Steeles) that now carries Denon. I bought two sets of 5.1 Paradigm speakers through them and they are great to deal with and are very flexible on price. I'm exstatic that I can now get Denon stuff from them!

Alternatively, you can view dealers in your area at Denon.ca.

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
Finally my dealer found out that she carries the 910. Great price too! (MUCH less than Bay Bloor Radio)

Before I jump in and buy this unit, I have two more questions.

1. its 3:2 pulldown, is it flag based or detection based?
2. does it play PAL disc and convert to NTSC (I have many region 0 PAL music videos)?

Thanks

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
CAD$425 including taxes, supposedly that's a special price.

All I know is that's the same price if I buy it from e-tronics (after shipping and duties).

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Denon DVD-910 has Faroudja so its not a flag-reader, it detects the 3:2 cadence and de-interlaces based on that, or switches to DCDi video de-interlacing if not. Be aware that this model has the color flicker issue at the top and bottom edges of saturated color areas due to CSS=on and its high frequency response is down about -3db, resulting in a somewhat soft picture compared to the excellent DVD-1600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks