Denon DVD1600 - repaired store demo; what should I watch for?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Richard C, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Richard C

Richard C Extra

Went DVD player shopping. Based on comments I read here and other places, I was hoping to find a Denon DVD1600 that someone still had in stock. The only one I found was a store's floor demo model that they were sending in to be repaired. They told me it needed a new laser. They agreed to sell it to me for $200.

The price seemed right, so I put down a deposit to hold the unit for me. It will have full new product warranty. I will have 7 days to return if I am not satisfied. The store has a very good reputation locally for knowledgeable salespeople.

Based on the limited info I have gotten, should I be worried? What should I be on the lookout for when I get the unit home next week?

I think this is a really good deal, but I'd love to hear the opinions of some of you with much more experience than I.

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

When you pick it up, play the thing for 3 days straight non-stop. Just play the hell out of the thing either with a CD on repeat or switch movies out on it. You can turn the volume all the way down. If it doesn't go bad within those first 72 hrs., then you should be fine.

3. Eric Tobias

Eric Tobias Agent

you can get a factory refurb from ecost for 220.

4. Richard C

Richard C Extra

Eric, sounds like you think a refurb for a few dollars more may be a better option than a store demo with a new laser. But I don't know where most refurbished players come from. Are they also usually store demos? Or warranty returns? Again, I'm not trying to be paranoid, just trying to figure out if I'm taking too large a risk.

Thanks!

Jon, seeing as how my new HDTV will be delivered at the same time, playing this thing for 3 days straight may happen anyways. Who needs sleep when you've got a new system! (Seriously, thanks for the idea.)

5. Eric Tobias

Eric Tobias Agent

either way its been repaired for something. Will your local store provide a new warranty or 1 30 day exchange?

6. Richard C

Richard C Extra

It will be a new, Denon factory warranty.