Denon DVD recommendations

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jack Heckler, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

I am rebuilding my AV system after moving into a condo. Have a Denon 2805 receiver, Paradigm Studio 20 fronts, Paradigm CC-350 center, no rears at the moment, and a 1998 Sony S3000 DVD player. Although a great DVD player at the time, the Sony is lacking for today's HD formats.

I am leaning towards a Denon DVD-1920 or 2910 to replace the Sony. They can both provide 720p or 1080i signals for my 42" Sammy DLP and I would assume they would both send a similar digital audio signal to the 2805...so is there any reason the spend an extra $250 for the 2910?? I am looking for some "reasonably-priced" excellence for both DVD AV performance and for 2-channel CD playback.

Thanks...Jack

2. mark tu

mark tu Extra

The 2910 adds more memory buffering, the DVI-D plug, SACD and has a aluminum faceplate as opposed to the plastic one one the 1910 and a few other processing features. It is well worth the extra $250...
    Mark

3. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

Mark...I see that you have the 2910. Do you use it as your main CD player? If so, I assume that you are happy with standard CD playback?

4. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

For what it's worth, the 1920 does SACD, as well.

I have owned both, and the 2910 is, of course, the better player. It is well worth the $250 more.

5. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

Thanks Nathan, that makes it 2 for 2 in favor of the 2910! Since you have owned both, besides the obvious differences in features, is there a noticeable difference in the video and audio outputs of the two players? I keep thinking that if I send a digital video signal via HDMI to my TV and a digital audio signal via coax or optical to my AVR-2805, there would not be that much difference between them.

6. Nathan_R

I didn't notice a difference in the HDMI video qualities of the two, but the 2910 was definitely the cleaner of the two audio-wise.

7. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

One last question Nathan...were the audio connections the same for both players and what type of output did you use?

8. Nathan_R

They both have HDMI, digital coax, optical, and analog outputs. I use digital coax for movies/cds and analog for multichannel. I played with HDMI audio a bit, but without the ability to pass SACD through it, I decided to bypass it entirely as an audio output.

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

You can only pass DVD-A through the HDMI?

10. Nathan_R

Yes, as far as multichannel formats go, only DVD-A is supported in the current spec. HDMI 1.3 is supposed to change that. As it stands, HDMI passes DD and DTS just fine, though.