Denon DVD actually a Sharp DVD in disguise??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Campbell, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Paul Campbell

I used to work at Good Guys and I was in there today to buy an inexpensive DVD player, so I bought the Sharp DV-S2 with the DCDi, and as I was leaving a friend of mine who worked there when I did nudged me and said that some guys from a GG store in another state had opened up the Sharp and that 300$ Denon player (that also had the DCDi) and that they discovered that they are the exact same player, at least in the guts. I thought this was intereresting, but quite believable considering that I know for a fact that Denon's first DVD player (at least at the store I was at) was a Panasonic with Denon skin on it and a slightly heaftier price tag. I know this because the Denon representative told me so. Does anybody know this for certain or have the ability to confirm it know that they have heard of it? I am just curious, because I wou feel all the more confident about the player if I knew that it was good enough for Denon to sell it with their name on it.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Most DVD players are constructed from components produced by manufacturers other than the company stamped on the player. Take a look at this page, which lists the manufacturers of various players' MPEG decoders. DACS, deinterlacers and various other components are similarly made by a handful of companies and used in many different players (Burr-Brown and Faroudja, for example).
    It's quite possible that the Denon and Sharp share many identical components or even the same basic platform (Panasonic has long been a favourite platform for several companies, including Denon).
    Adam

3. Paul Campbell

Supposedly they are virtually identical except for front panel buttons. I am hoping somebody has access to both of them for comparison, or has means of finding out if it is true.