Denon DVD-910 vs Panasonic RP-56

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cahyo Wicaksono, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Cahyo Wicaksono

Cahyo Wicaksono Stunt Coordinator

Well, I finally bought the Denon 910 against the suggestions of many HTF members (some even say with certainty that the 56 has better PQ than the 910).

Well, the suggestion appears to be wrong.

Last night I played several movies and did some A/B comparison on my 46" ISF calibrated sony RPTV.

Both DVD players inputted to each component input, using cables of the same make and model, optical audio being fed into Pioneer 45TX receiver.

Well, the differences are NOT night and day, however they are not subtle nevertheless.

1. subtitle combing on RP-56 in nonexistent on the 910

2. flicker bug on RP-56 is much less existent on the 910. Still there, but doesn't make you want to throw your shoes at your TV. Much less annoying, so to speak. (using supermarket scene from One Hour Photo)

3. colour rendition, exactly the same (using scenes from The Lion King)

4. EE-like effect around hard edges on RP-56 is non existent on the 910. (even scenes from Sound of Music becaomes more bearable, other movie's apparent EE on the 56 completely gone on the 910)

5. Layer change on the 910 is much better, almost non detectable.

6. The 910 is whisper quiet.

7. I'm a firm believer of "digital is digital" but I played back certain harsh sounding scenes from 24 season 2, the harshness diminishes quite a bit on the 910 optical out (as opposed to 56 optical out)

So there you go. Anybody own an RP-56 who wants to upgrade , especially due to necessity (player is broken etc), the 910 may be the answer for you.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

If you like the Denon DVD-910 you should try the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $50 less at Tweeter. The Mitsubishi is the same design but with a few more features like DVD-audio and windowboxing for 16:9 diaplays.

3. Cahyo Wicaksono

Hi Don,

quite unfortunately we don't have anything by Mitsubishi in Canada. That aside, the 910 comes with scaling capability too.

As far as DVD-A and SACD, I use the 563 from Pioneer.

4. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

5. Don_Berg

No the 910 doesn't have the 4:3 windowbox scaling capability for a 16:9 display, all the 910 has is a 2x or 4x zoom.

6. Cahyo Wicaksono

THanks for the clarification, Don. I posted based on what I read on the brochure regarding the windowboxing. I guess their brochuse is wrong.

I personally have no use for this becasue I can change the AR on my TV.

7. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I'm looking at the Denon 910 New Product Details PDF from the Denon site and it says it has an aspect ratio correction for 4:3 Material on 16:9 sets:

"Aspect Ratio Function for Correct Image Displays
    When you want to view video images with an aspect ratio of 4:3 on a 16:9 Progressive TV monitor, the DVD-910's Aspect Ratio function con-verts the images to the correct aspect ratio so that you can enjoy high-quality Progressive output on your screen. This function also converts 16:9 images for output to 4:3 TV screens."

Is this not the same feature the Mitsu has?

8. Don_Berg

Yes the product info claims that but its missing in the 910's user manual and I couldn't find that function playing with the model in the store.

9. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Yes Don, you're exactly right. I brought this one home for a try-out last night. Not only didn't it have the Aspect Ratio correction as noted in it's brochure - the Progressive/Interlaced switch flat out broke off when switching it...guess what's being returned today?

Does the Denon 1200 have the pillar-boxing feature?

10. Don_Berg

Wow! The 910 must truly have a cheap build quality then. The 1200 appears to have the same (or lack thereof) functionality as the 910 except for the addition of the DVD-audio feature. If you want DVD-audio and a 4:3 pillar-box feature go with the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $250 at Tweeter stores, it appears to be identical in design to the Denon 1200 (even the menus are identical) except for the extra menu setup item for allowing 4:3 pillar-boxing.

11. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Got the 8040 the other day and I'm loving it. The 4:3 Pillar-Boxing rules...no more interlaced! The only bad thing so far is that I have to turn it's black-level adjustment off each time a disc is inserted. I'd say the 910 had a better picture overall - but I was looking for that 4:3 feature specifically.

12. Don_Berg

Yes Tim, the 8040 doesn't remember the black level setting in the setup menu - thats the one thing I hated about it.

13. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Bringing back the Mitsubishi 8040 today. It has started skipping with EVERY CD I put in...going to bite the bullet and go for the Denon 2200