What's new

Denon DVD-910 vs. Mitsubishi DD-8040 (1 Viewer)

Larry Hayward

Auditioning
I very much like the performance of my DVD-910, except for questionable build quality. The disk tray seems very fragile and wobbly, and I'm afraid that an accidental jolt might crumple it. From what I've heard, the Mitsubishi is virtually the same machine and was probably built at the same factory in China. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of that machine that might indicate if the build is any different or better than the Denon? I'd prefer to keep the Denon (it's black and matches my other stuff, and the Mits just comes in silver, among other reasons) but I don't want it falling apart on me. I use it a lot.

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Mits 8040, and am very happy with it. Although, the only previous player I had before that was a simple Phillips, non-proscan player... so I don't have a wealth of experience. :)

I do know that the Mits handles incorrectly flagged DVD's very well. But as far as a comparison to Denon, I have no clue.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
I am still deciding on a DVD player although the Denon has the legendary Faroudja, I looked at it yesterday at the Goodguys and it has questionable build quality. I notice that the tray is wobbly, similar to those $50 and under DVD players.

I am still waiting for a review of the NAD T513. NAD's are built like an assault tank but I don't know much about their deinterlacers.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Denon has a slightly better build quality, the Mitsubishi is a lot smaller lighter case. Internally the electronics is almost identical, though the Mitsubishi has a couple features enabled that the Denon doesn't.

Hal M

Agent
Read some places that the Mits had some jitter problems. Anyone experience this? Thinking about bringing my 910 back and trying the Mits. Want that 4:3 scaling feature.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I saw no jitter issues with the Mitsubishi and it does have the 4:3 pillar-box feature for 4:3 titles on a 16:9 diaplay. The MItsubishi's only bad points are the black level setting in the setup menu isn't saved - it always defaults to "lighter" on powerup and I prefer the more standard "darker" - so for that you have to go into the setup menu and change it every time after power up. Also the Faroudja is setup with CSS=on instead of CSS=off and this causes some flickering on the top or bottom edges of saturated color areas, usually only noticeable on some color bar test patterns or menu screens, not a real issue with regular movie or video viewing.

Hal M

Agent
Noticed that the 910 shows more edge-enhancement than my RP91. Even with the sharpness turned all the way down on my TV. Is this simply due to the fact that it offers better, clearer picture and therefore transfer flaws become more apparent? Other than that, I really love the picture on the 910. Feels more "projected" than my Panny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks