Denon DVD-910 vs. Mitsubishi DD-8040

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Larry Hayward, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Larry Hayward

Larry Hayward Auditioning

Just purchased a Denon DVD-910 and am satisfied with it except for the zoom feature, which does not allow me to enlarge the picture is small increments to just eliminate letterbox bars on 2:35-1 films. Picture quality is good and have not noticed any jitter issues. Some forum readers have questioned this unit's build quality. Does anyone know anything about the Mitsu DD-8040 and how it compares to the Denon in build and picture quality. Will it zoom in small increments. Also, does it have the ability to memorize a stop point when the power is turned off? Would appreciate any feedback on either of these models. Thanks, Larry

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I actually have both right now and am going to return the 910. The 8040 has zoom + 4:3 aspect ratio control.

The 8040 picture is actually sharper than the 910.

The 8040 drive mechanism is a tad louder than the 910's. But it's still not enough to bother me.

If you mean that it memorizes for a certain disk after you take it out of the machine and put it in later, no.

As near as I can tell, the 8040 is actually the Denon 1200. Build quality is par for the course for the cheap machines (e.g. light and wimpy).

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I looked at both of those models and they appear to be built by the same Chinese factory. The setup menus look identical except for the 4:3 window-box feature added on the Mitsubishi. But the menus look exactly the same - a dead giveaway of an identical design. The Mitsubishi is smaller lighter case, so some would say thats poorer build quality. The Denon is bigger, black, a little heavier. The Mitsubishi is closer to the Denon DVd-1200 since it has DVD-audio and the 910 doesn't. For the price the Mitsubishi is a bargain ($250) vs the Denon DVD-1200 ($399). However the Mitsubishi has the Faroudja setup with CSS=on which causes flickering at the top and bottom edges of colored rectangles visible on many menu screens. I'm not sure but I heard CSS=off on the Denons, so they may not flicker. I returned the Mitusbishi because its high frequency response wasn't as good as the better models (softer picture) and the color flicker. I got a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for the same price and its Faroudja has CSS=off with no flicker and has a perfect flat frequency response for the sharpest picture I've seen from any DVD player.

4. Larry Hayward

Larry Hayward Auditioning

For the uninitiated me, exactly what is CSS and how does it being on or off affect the picture? I like the Denon 910 except for the fact that it won't do the small zoom - DVD audio is not a big issue for me - and the Denon happens to be black, which matches my other stuff. The Mitsu is only available in silver. I guess I'm trying to justify keeping the Denon and will only swap it if I'm reasonably convinced the Mitsubishi offers a better picture. My budget is maxed out at $300, so I can't go higher. Thanks again, Larry

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Denon 910 I believe has the better picture of the two. CSS is some feature of the Faroudja chipset I think its some kind of color filter process but in any case the correct setup is CSS=off to avoid the color flicker artifact. The Mitsubishi clearly is setup with CSS=on. I'm not certain about the Denon DVD-910's CSS setting.