Denon DVD-9000 Now Available

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Lee, May 1, 2002.

1. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

This 40 lb. monster arrived at my door today and it is a beast. I will have to be patient and wait until the weekend to play with this thing. It is very elegant and simple looking. I guess all THX-certified equipment has an unpublished minimum weight and size requirement.

More to come...I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

2. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

how much it run you?

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm pretty sure he is a dealer [​IMG]
    I've heard that most of the denon products have the chroma bug. I'm sure you will let us know if it does.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Yup, Michael is a dealer. The street price of the '9000 is supposed to be $3000 from an authorized dealer.

5. Rob_b

Rob_b Agent

Michael,

Can't wait for some feedback on picture quality (chroma). I am looking at the Denon-3800. I think the 9000 and the 3800 should have simular video quality.

Thanks

6. Michael Lee

Yup-

Guilty as charged..I am a dealer. I am an HT aficionado first though. I will pull no punches when I view this thing...as I did when I favored the RP-91 over the 2800 months ago. The connectors in the back for the analog outs are super heavy-duty!

Sorry, I cannot divulge "how much it run me".

7. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Michael - My ol' Denon buddy. I'm no dealer but my pricing is right there(hence the luxury of upgrading so often)

Very curious as to how the 9000 will perform. I just got around to hooking up the AVR 5803 and will be posting a brief comparison with the 5800 soon. (Yes there are differences)

I'm very curious as to how well the DVD 9000 performs. It's great to see that you'll be comparing it right after your Panasonic RP91. I have the Panasonic 1000 and have waited quite a while to see a clear cut "next" gen progressive scan player.

Elbert

8. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I understand... We all look forward to your review. Do you have an opinion on the denon 1600?

Also, in case anyone is interested, I think J&R had a price of about $2700 on the 9000 when I visited their store 2 weeks ago - they had non in stock and only 1 on order...

9. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"I just got around to hooking up the AVR 5803 and will be posting a brief comparison with the 5800 soon. (Yes there are differences)"
    OK, Elbert...that's long enough[​IMG] I'm very curious about these "differences."
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

10. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I'm with Jeremy. Where's the review, Elbert? [​IMG]

11. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Im anxious for the review on the 9000. It better be extremly good for such a high price tag. I havent seen the unit, but judging from Denons past dvd players I am not expecting much especially since they couldnt eliminate the chroma bug.

Andy

12. Michael Lee

Sorry-
    No review yet. I do have these though:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, it is pretty simple in design...but stylish. I hope to give it a thorough testing this weekend. The big things to watch for are chroma upsampling, and how non-anamorphic DVDs look on my 9' screen without the scaling of the Panasonic RP-91.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, actually, I can't see the top picture, which I presume is of the front panel. Can you fix the link? Are you going to get the opportunity to compare the '9000 to the '3800?

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ah, there we are. Thanks for fixing the link. You must have been playing around with your web site a bit. At one point the top picture didn't appear, but the bottom one did, and then it was the other way around. Now both appear. [​IMG] It is a simple design, but it looks very nice.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Here is a question. Does anyone know if it is generally easy to play DVD-Audio discs on Denon players without using a TV? I ask because I can currently play Warner DVD-Audio discs on my Technics DVD-A10 without a TV. I am interested in the Denon DVD-3800, and if I were to get one, I'd like to be able to forego the TV for DVD-Audio.

16. Michael Lee

I installed a Denon DVD-1600 the other day and they were playing DVD-A without video with no problems whatsoever. When I came over to show them how to use the system with their new custom Pronto, they were pleasantly surprised to see that there were picture stills from the DVD-A displayed on their 50" plasma.

By the way, the Denon tradition continues with big, clunky, non-ergonomic remote controls. It is in front of the unit in the first photo.

The website is freaking out right now. I did not change anything. AOL is on acid.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks for the info. on the '1600. Hopefully the '3800 will function the same way with DVD-Audio discs. The '3800 looks to be a great player at $1200. I'd just like to see more DVD-Audio titles before investing that much in a player. I'd be getting the '3800 primarily for DVD-Audio.

18. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

sorry for the late reply, guys. I just posted my 2 day "brief" comparative review on the RECEIVER FORUM. THe review is still in progress, but, give the fact that one unit is still breaking in, and coupled with the fact that I have to switch between the units, I'll have to keep updating my observations.

Elbert

19. Michael Lee

Keith,

Are you saying that you do not have DVD-A capability yet? I have only perused the music section of this forum, but it seems you are a frequent and very knowledgable poster there. New DVD-A titles are infrequent, but the ones that I have I really like. I have tremendous difficulty in choosing a favorite format between DVD-A and SACD. I am just fortunate to have both in the same system, so no choice has to be made.

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I do have a DVD-Audio player and 21 discs. I bought a Technics DVD-A10 in February 2001 for just $380. The 'A10 is an excellent player for what I paid, but if more quality DVD-Audio titles are released, I would consider an upgrade. While there is no way I would spend $3000 or thereabouts for the Denon DVD-9000, I would consider the DVD-3800 for around $1200. I would like to see reviews on the '3800 before jumping in, and even if the reviews are positive, I would have to see many more DVD-Audio titles out before plunking down the cash. I couldn't see spending $1200 for a DVD-Audio player for just 21 discs. Note that I don't have an HDTV or a high-end surround-sound speaker set-up (stereo music is my bag), so I wouldn't spend $1200 for progressive-scan DVD-Video playback.
    Like you, I have both DVD-Audio and SACD in my home, and it is nice to have access to all the music that both formats offer. I also agree that although DVD-Audio releases have been slow to arrive, much of what has come out lately has been extremely well done. I just want more. [​IMG]