Denon DVD-900... Not so impressed & What to do with "black level"

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SeanA, Jun 7, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Well, I am regretting that I have promised to sell my Toshiba SD4800 to one of my co-workers. I just got the refurbished DVD-900 and I don't think the build quality (at the least the exterior) or the video performance is any better than the Toshiba. As a matter of fact, the Toshiba almost seems to have a little bit sharper picture based on comparison of one of my favorite scenes in LOTRs. (I was checking out the fine fuzz in Gandolf's hat). It definitely put out a brighter image. I had to increase the brightness level on my TV when using the Denon. I think it is time to pull out the AVIA disc and see if that helps. I never did try to calibrate the Toshiba player with AVIA.

I also think the Toshiba has a much nicer menu, remote, display, and settings/controls. Oh well... they always say you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. I do think the sound from the Denon might be a slight improvement though.

Now that I am stuck with the Denon, can I get some suggestions on whether to turn the "black level" on or off ??? I guess black level "on" makes black images brighter. I tend to think I want this "off", especially if I am going to tweak my TV with the AVIA disc. Also, is there a way to set black level to "off" so that it stays "off" ??? It seems to reset to the default "on" everytime I use the player.

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Not to answer my own question, but I was just wondering... Was I wrong to assume the DVD-900 would have the same video quality as the DVD-1600 ??? I know the DVD-1600 got great reviews for its video reproduction, and that was what I was looking for in the DVD-900. They both have the same Faroudja de-interlacer, but I suppose there is more to it than just that.

3. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Yes you were wrong in that assumption. The Denon 900 has the chroma bug, and a frequency response that rolls off rather sharply, which is probably why your picture looks soft. The Denon 1600 does not share either of these traits. It does have the same deinterlacing performance though. See this link.