What's new

Denon DVD-5900 too noisy? (1 Viewer)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
I have a customer that has recently purchased a 5900 from me and he is unhappy because it is too noisy. its very difficult to tell in a store environment because it has a very high level of ambient noise. does anyone else out there own one and think its too noisy? i have personal experience with the 2200 (i have it in my home), and its dead silent at 6 ft away. i keep the screen blank on it most of the time and i forget to turn it off a lot of the time, i dont even know its on.

he claims that at 15 feet away he can hear it during quiet passages in movies. is this common, or could it be a defect? thanks!

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
The only noises I have heard are an audible click when the unit is powered on, and the motor that opens the drawer whirrs a bit louder than the 2900. No noise at all during playback. I suspect a defect....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I felt the 2200 is quite loud during operation compared to my older Sony, but it is not unacceptably noisy, especially once I close the door of my cabinet.

What does this customer have the unit sitting on? Perhaps a little isolation between it and it's location might help.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
im not too sure what he's setting it on. if its something "ringy" it could be a problem. ill suggest it to him. also, he is saying that its barely better than his old toshiba 9200. from what i understand, it should blow away the 9200... any experiences there?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
depends on what display he is using it on. on your average 27" tube most dvd players look the same. As far as the noise, I'll bet its the shelf its sitting on. My 2900 was noisy, until I realized the wooden shelf it was sitting on making all the noise. I put it on a more solid base and bingo: no noise.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
IIRC, he's using it on a pioneer elite rear projection. properly tweaked, they can look amazing. he knows what he's doing, so im sure it is tweaked.

ill suggest some audioquest sorbethane feet to try out and see if that fixes it, or just give him my vibrapods to test.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I had a Denon 5900, a 3800 and a 2900 in-house and the noisiest one was the 3800. The 5900 was even quieter then the 2900. Maybe you have a faulty 5900?

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
at this point, im really hoping its a defective unit. this is his last hope as far as a dvd player goes. if this one doesnt work out, he'll just keep what he's got.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
My 2900 has been dead silent for months, except recently - Whale Rider (great movie) the first 5 min. or so the transport is very noisy. After this, silent again. I was able to repeat it, as initially I thought I had disc in wrong. Weird?

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
that is odd. he had mentioned that cd's seemed quieter thatn dvd's... but i see dvd's as being more dynamic; with really loud scenes and really quiet scenes... maybe thats the case?

John Beavers

Second Unit
At first my 5900 was dead quiet, but now it's developed problems. It's started to make grinding noises on many DVDs to where the whole chassis begins to shake, and ever since it started doing this the transport noise has become more audible. There have been a few reports of this happening from other owners. Mine is going back, and a new one has been ordered. I'm hoping it's another case of Denon's less than stellar quality control, and not a systemic issue with the design in general.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
ah ok. that sounds more like the problem he is having. plus, his is a floor model too, so it was JUST barely broken in when he got it. did you notice any other things degraded? ie - image quality suffered, etc? or was it just noisy?

John Beavers

Second Unit
Robert,

Image and audio quality remain constant. And to tell you the truth, other than a few DVDs the problem doesn't manifest itself much. Though it is extreme when you hit a problem DVD. In particular, if you were to put in Eric Clapton's "One More Car.." you would have the terrible grinding noise and the vibrating chassis during start up menus, then it settles down to normal. With a movie like North by Northwest, the problem continues into the movie itself and then quiets down. This is about the weirdest DVD player problem I've ever encountered.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
".........the noisiest one was the 3800"

It must be that Lévesque is including all noise sources with this statement, as the only thing I hear coming from my 3800 is the slight noise with the drawer going in and out and the power relay switch faint click. I hear nothing from my 3800's drive mechanism - even quieter than my very high end prosumer VHS player.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Phil.

After the laser pick-up upgrade, my 3800 was making noise when playing any disk. Not alot of noise, but more then my 5900 and the 2900.

I was able to hear it "playing" (internal noise) from 3 to 4 feet with everything closed in my system except the 3800.

Maybe it was a problem with what they have done to my 3800 when performing the laser pick-up upgrade. I don't know. But when playing a disk, the 3800 was noisier then my 5900.

Maybe I had a faulty 3800, I don't know. I never had more then one 3800 in my system, so I can't say that all the 3800 are noisy, and far from it. But mine was. And it was noisier then my 5900.

I was just answering the question regarding the 5900 and noise. My 3800 was noisier.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
"you would have the terrible grinding noise and the vibrating chassis during start up menus, then it settles down to normal".

John - thats exactly what my 2900 does during the start of Whale Rider - every time, intro + first 3 or 4 minutes = noise/grind. Stops after that. Never heard this on any ohter disc? Weird!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks