What's new

Denon DVD-5900 mni-review (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Just finishing playing with my new 5900 for 2 days. All I can say is wow!

This thing is so HUGE it's even bigger in size then my Bryston 4BSST! Prepare your rack for a big piece of equipment, maybe 50% bigger then my Denon DVD-3800. I can’t fit it in my custom made rack!

Nice box, with a Denon link cable and a Firewire cable both included.

I still have my 3800 to compare in-house. My friend brought his 2900 home. A lot of comparison to do!

So much tweaking, it's unbelievable. Cannot list all the tweaks in that unit, it would take 3 pages long... But everything is there, even chroma delay adjustment! Black level, white level, noise levels, +10 db sub out, etc. Everything is there. I didn’t even start tweaking, and did use it with all the defaults on. More tweaking tomorrow!

Because the DVI-D is not already activated (it will be in 1 week or 2 probably now that it is approved...), I have access only to the component video outputs. Sorry for all the DVD-3800 owners, but there is a new king in town! I've never seen an image so 3D like and I change my source every 6 months! Awesome black levels, details, no softness at all. All sharp and clear. The image is crisper and more sharp then the 3800. The colors are more vibrant and accurate. Black is black and white is white, and I didn’t even start to tweak all the video settings adjustment!!! I don't believe it. What a nice surprise. Just imagining what the DVI upscaling will be able to produce and I'm drooling on my keyboard! There is so much tweaking possible with that unit, that I feel like having an ISF calibration for free!

For DVD-A, it's a little bit in front of the 3800. For SACD, it's a good step-up in front of the 2900!

I think we finally have a really good DVD-A/SACD combo! Play boths format incredibly well.

I think that for once Denon did actually delivered the goods. The 5900 perform like a flagship unit. Video performance is a good step-up over the 3800 and the 2900. For audio performance, it’s a BIG step-up in front of the 3800 and the 2900. IMHO opinon, and for my ears, for sure…

I just used everything in the default settings. But know I will compare the source direct and multi settings of the 5900 with my Anthem DAC's and DSP. I still have to compare the sound when the Anthem is doing all the tweaks (source direct) and when it's the Denon controlling everything.

Wow. What a unit. Awesome value. If you have the money, don’t settle for the little brother 2900, but go for the 200 pounds gorilla of a big brother and jump on the 5900!

Beware Pioneer Elite and Marantz... there is a new king in town.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Lévesque, can you check to see if 5900 will do anamorphic scaling of non-anamorphic LBX DVDs over component output -- the way Panasonic 91 does it?

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
I'd be interested to know at what price can this baby be had? In fact, I've been planning a trip to Canada and I'd be willing to purcahse it up there in the Great White North if I could be a really good price!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
List is $2k, and the word is that dealer cost is $1200. But now someone else says that dealer cost is higher and not to expect much of a discount... :frowning:

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Dmitry..I believe it can--------> Anamorphic Scaling for 4:3/16:9 Sets • 4:3 Squeeze and Zoom Controls •

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Kevin:

Delear cost is above $1200 - but below $1300. This falls right in line with most home audio/video dealer costs between 60% - 70% of the retail price for all equipment but speakers. Speakers usually have higher margins than other equipment.

I have seen it offered for as low as $1600 - $1700 on some websites. The lowest I have been quoted from an authorized dealer is $1700.

http://www.soundpros.com/denon_home.cfm
http://www.downtownaudio.com/dedvdvdpl.html
http://absoluteaudiovideo.com/denondvd5900.html

However, I do not believe the above are Denon authorized dealers.

Mike

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with any A/V dealers, but have access to dealer's prices on a few items.

John Cain

Second Unit
Hi Alain,

Thank you for the post and the info.. I believe this is the player I have been searching for over the last three years..

Questions please:

1) Do you see any combing on video material, know to be problematic??

2) Do you see any sign of the CUE or Chroma Bug as most call it ??

3) Do the DVDs get scorching hot as they do with the DVD3800 ??

4) Do you have any discs with bad layer changes, and does this player handle those better ??

5) Do you have any problems with freezes, or lockups or skipping ?? Can it play discs that are dirty or scratched, LIKE ALL Rental DVDs usualy are !!??!??!!

What other DVD players have you owned that you are comparing this one to??

Many, many thanks !!!

-- John

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info. here as well! I think that the absolute most I'm going to be able to spend on a DVD player is $1500, and probably less. That might, unfortunately, rule out the Denon and force me to go with the Pioneer. However, I'm wondering if I was willing to go to Canada to make the purchase if I could bridge the gap that way?

I'm also interested in seeing how these two players pan out as they fall into the hands of more users. There's nothing better than real world experience with how players perform and hold up.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
John. I can answer some of your questions.

1) Don't know. Maybe you could give me more indications of what I should look for...

2) No chroma bug for now. I was one of the early adoptor of the 3800, so I know what to look for...

3) The DVD's are coming out mildly warm, almost at room temperature. Big difference compared with my burning hot DVD's coming from my 3800!

4) Yes. Asterix et Cleopatre (a french film) was giving problems to my 3800. Skipping freezing non-stop, with long layer changes. But no problemo with the 5900. It's the first film I've tried because of all the headaches it was giving me!

5)I didn't rent any film for now. So I can't say. But no skipping or freezing after 5 films. But my 3800 did start doing it after 1 month...so... finger cross!

I've owned a Toshiba 4 years ago, a JVC, the Denon 3800, and my dealer brought the 2900 2 days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks