Denon DVD-3910. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gabe Goddard, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Gabe Goddard

Gabe Goddard Auditioning

I'm looking at all options in upgrading my DVD player...from getting a budget player to going all out with something like the Denon DVD 3910? Anyone have any thoughts on this player?

Gabe

2. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

I am very happy with mine. Great build quality. The picture is very sharp. Sounds great via the Denon Link for Digital DVD-A as well.

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Great machine but what will you be hooking it to? If your display does not have a DVI or HDMI input this unit is probably not the best choice from a cost/performace standpoint.

Another point to ponder is whether HD DVD and or Blu Ray might be available later this year.....and if that might be something you'd be interested in when it arrives.

Mort

4. Gabe Goddard

Gabe Goddard Auditioning

My tv does not have DVI/HDMI. Am I going to need that for HD DVD and/or Blu Ray?

5. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i love mine. great video quality, sound is awesome, and very good functionality. highly recommended.

6. Bob U

Bob U Stunt Coordinator

I also am thinking about upgrading tot a 3910. But have a question!

My current setup has an older preproc that does fine, but requires that DVD-A and SACD comes in analog. DVD-A from my current player sounds just great whether 2 channel or multi channel. But SACD has no bass that is detectable, whether 2 or multi channel.

So, the questions is, can I set bass through the analog outputs separately for DVD-A and SACD on the 3910? If not, is there any solution for this bass discrepancy without replacing my preproc which I do not wish to do? The only other option I can think of is not buying SACD's. But there must be a a better solution.

Hopefully, the 3910 will have this feature.

Thanks.

7. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3910 and I am very happy with it [​IMG] i am having a few issues with the iLink (hopefully soon to be fixed with firmware) but otherwise the player is great.
    Great Video, great sound.

Bob U, the 3910 has very good Bass Managment.
    You can set different crossovers, boost the LFE by +10dB, etc. -> most of the stuff you can do in normal pre/pro's you can do in the 3910.
    You can even tell the 3910 not do anything to the sound and send the un-processed audio signal directly (via analog) to the amp.
    I don't know what pre/pro you have, but for me this is a good good thing, as i have a Yamaha Z9 and it allows me to process the analog input.
    Other pre-pro-amps do not have that feature (they will only play whatever they get via the analog input, nothing else)so you will need to do all the levels/distances/crossover setup in the 3910.

However, you cannot setup seperate different levels for a DVD-A opposed to SACD. The settings are in the 3910 are across the board. However, this should not be a problem, because if setup correctly, you will probably have your pre/pro do the decoding for DTS and DD (via digital connection) and then have the 3910 dedicated in setup for your DVD-A and SACD playback (via analog connections)
    You should have no problems with bass in either SACD or DVD-A

The best bet would be to go to a store that allows you to have a few days trial run, to return the product if you are not happy with it, that way you can double check it does exactly what you wish it to.

anyway, hope that helped.

Cheers
    KJ

8. Bob U

Bob U Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so much for the reply.

What I am noticing with t my ucrrent setup is that in "general" DVD-A has about 5 dB more bottom than SACD. Hence my desire to set bass levels separately. Could be my 563A player, but maybe not. There is no way to set anything for the analog inputs of my Parasound 1800 pre/proc. Digital is totally balanced properly, again except DTS is 10dB hot on the bass. I just avoid buying anything DTS, but would preferif DVD-A and SACD were properly and individually balanced.

So, that being the case, how much difference is there between a 2900 and 3910? Is the audio noticeably better on the 3910? Are the bass management feature sets similar?

I canget a 2900 for less than $550 new now and a 3910 for about $900. If its worth the difference (audio wise as I can use the video features - at least now), then I will pull the trigger.

Thanks again.

9. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

"My tv does not have DVI/HDMI. Am I going to need that for HD DVD and/or Blu Ray? "

The jury is still out on that one. It would be incredibly stupid to not include Component Out for BlueRay/HD-DVD. I'd estimate about 25-35% of installed HD sets are component only. (Like mine) and to neglect that installed base would be retarded.

10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    As it stands now, from what I've read, HD-DVD/BluRay will NOT output HD video from anything other than a DVI/HDMI connection because of copy protection concerns. Component will be good old 480p, downrezed. If you use the search function here at HTF you can find plenty of info on this subject.

11. dpippel

Supporter

Doug

I thought the 3910 had noticably better analog audio output than the 2900 across the board. Unfortunately it had macroblocking problems that, for me, negated its edge on audio.

12. stewie

stewie Auditioning

I have recently purchased a 3910 and am very impressed with its performance in both audio and video, it's has a rather large case for a DVD Player. The disc tray is very smooth in operation and is supposed to eliminate disc vibrations? I have no issues with chapter freezing as I had a couple of copied discs in my old Denon DVD 2500.

I have also just updated the firmware to 6609-9 which is region free and it's contrast is much better.

Regards Stewie

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

What does better with SACD playback - The 3910 or Pioneer Elite 59-Avi?

14. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Marco - I had both players at the same time and compared them directly. In my system I preferred the Denon over the Pioneer, however both machines produced very, very good analog audio on CD/SACD/DVD-A. I would have kept the 3910 if it hadn't been for the [email protected]&*%! macroblocking.

Audio performance is a VERY subjective experience. No two people hear the same muscial passage exactly the same way. If at all possible, I highly recommend listening to both players in the same environment before making a decision.

15. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

I may be stating the obvious here, but you do understand that the 3910 will not play HD or Blue ray, right?

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Doug.

Since they're performance is relatively akin and sound IS so subjective, I decided to go with the Pioneer simply factoring image quality as well. As important as audio playback is to me, the overall theatre experience is the prime reason for all of this. Otherwise I would have simply invested in a more expensive SACD stereo system. From all comparitive accounts, The 59-Avi seems to be leading in this class so I decided to run with it. I can't imagine I'd be dissapointed by it's audio functions though...

17. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    I think you made a wise decision Marco.