Denon DVD-3910/AVR-3805 audio connections

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert Burkes, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi, everyone! Today is a great day! The UPS person should be at my doorstep by 5:00 with my new 3910. I can't wait! I have a quick question, though. What audio connection should I use with between my 3910 and 3805? I was hoping to use the Denon Link, but I just read in another post that it is impossible to use this connection, if you're also using HDMI. Is this true? If it is, should I forgo the HDMI and stick with the Denon Link, or ditch the DL and enjoy the HDMI? What do you fellow 3910 owners think? Thanks for any response!
    Rob

2. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

Robert, I am using the Denon Link between my 3910 and 3805 just fine. I have the 3910 connected via HDMI directly to my Sony HS51 projector. All is well.

Remember to activate the DL in the setup menu's of both the receiver and the DVD player first.

I am using a 6 foot piece of CAT 6 cable for the DL connection. It is a wonderful thing.

I received an e-mail from Denon last week saying that the DL3 was active in the 3805 and there would be a downloadable firmware update for the 3910 to DL3 shortly so SACD will be active via the DL as well. 1 audio and 1 video cable.... About time! [​IMG]

3. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Awesome...DL3! So...if it's a downloadable upgrade, I assume that means we install it ourselves? Just burn to a CD and insert, or what? Any clues?

Also...I got my 3910 setup and it works marvelously...except for one problem. I have to set the player to not output any video information, in order to play the hi-rez track on my Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth" Dual Disc. I specify this particular disc, because I haven't tried any others yet. If I allow the player to output video information, the audio defaults to Dolby Digital, and that just ain't cool. The disc doesn't allow the user to specify via the menus what track to play beyond choosing stereo or surround. With video information going, surround means Dolby Digital.

This setting I'm talking about is found in the "etc." tab of the setup menus. Please, please, PLEASE!!! Can anyone help me figure this out? DVD-A is incredibly difficult to navigate without the video information. I could really use some help here.

Thanks for your response, Eric, and thank you to anyone who can help me with my newfound quandry.

Rob

4. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

Robert, you do burn your own CD's from the download off the Denon site. You enter your serial number and it authorizes the unit and takes you to the download page.

I have upgraded my 5900 this way and the DL3 will be the same procedure. I burned the 5900 updates with Nero 6.6 and had no problems.

Sorry I can't help on the NIN stuff. I have not tried that yet and I do not have any DVD-A or SACD's that required that setting.