Denon dvd 3800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Meringolo, Jun 11, 2002.

1. John Meringolo

anyone have any feed back on this yet? thanks

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, there was a lot of talk about the '3800 (and the '9000 too) when it first came out, but that all stopped suddenly. I know the '3800 has the chroma bug, which many, myself included, were very disappointed to hear. The '3800 looks like a wonderful player on paper, and it probably is wonderful, but it should not have been released with the chroma bug, given the high retail price.

3. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Well, I broke down and bought one last night. I knew about the chroma bug, but have never experienced it since I've always owned Panasonic based players. I went from my Technics A10 to the 3800 as an "experiment." I wanted a solid build quality, and stellar audio performance. I'm more into audio than video, so I took a chance with the chroma issue.

In watching a few scenes last night, I did see the error. It is minor (well, to me but time will tell) but I can see it. Superman was a true test. It crept up on his cape and in the beginning when Clarke was on the football field wearing a very bright, red shirt. I'm still evaluating whether this will be bothersome to me. The thing is, the 3800 does everything else so right!! The audio is unbelievable. That's the first thing I noticed. Cd's sound incredible, and dvd-a's sound so good that I can't verbalize.

So as I stated, I'm experimenting w/this unit to see if I can live with the chroma bug. I have 30 days to decide and I will look very hard at the video quality. I guess I need to justify the expense to myself. The 3800 does everything I want in a player, so I'm wanting it to be the one. We'll see.

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Well I’ll post my views. This player has several problems besides the chroma bug, all major IMO. I was going to wait until I got some feedback from Denon, but they have been very unresponsive.

Problems:

1) DVD-Audio discs from AIX records: No sound comes out of the center or rear speakers on the 5.1 tracks. I called Denon on May 14th to report this problem. I called back on June 3rd since I had not heard back and my 30 day evaluation period was almost over. I was unable to get a hold of the guy I talked to before, so I left a message. Still no word.

2) I experienced some freezing on some DVD-V discs. They lasted anywhere from very minimal to 4 or 5 seconds. The worst was Planet of the Apes. Chapter 17 was stop and go for at least 5 minutes.

Conclusion: This player was rushed to market without proper debugging and their tech support is horrible. Proceed at you own risk.

As a side note, I found the usability not very friendly. Keith, I know this is an issue for you, the player can’t be effectively used without a TV hooked up. There is no “Group” button to select the different groups. There is a “Search Mode” button which, according to the manual, sets the “search” buttons (i.e. >>| ) to select groups or tracks. Well, it doesn’t work.

Needless to say, this puppy went back.

5. Chris Madalena

Mine didn't last 24 hours. It's going back as well. The 3:2 pull down is horrible. My Pioneer 533 does a better job. I had some disc stuttering too, and some audio popping through the channels. I'm very disappointed because it looked to be a great machine. I' don't know what to do now. I love the audio quality from Denon, and am debating on getting the 4800 but am a bit gun shy right now when it comes to their dvd players. Is it too much to ask for stellar audio as well as video in one machine?

6. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Try the Kenwood 5700.

7. Richard Goode

Well I also had the Denon dvd-3800 for a short time. The video was an improvement over the dvd-2800 which I'am currently using, but I found the audio to be lacking in sound quality. My dvd-2800 sounds much warmer and dynamic than the dvd-3800. The dvd-3800 sounded compressed compared to the dvd-2800. Another problem I had with DVD-3800 is it would freeze up in the middle of movies, and you would have to turn the player off and start the movie over again. It's to bad this would been a killer dvd player for the money.

8. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gee whiz, and I thought the chroma bug was the only problem with this player. No "Group" button on the remote, freezing up, sounding worse than the '2800?! I'm glad I didn't special order one blindly from Tweeter about a month ago. Denon really is doing a poor job with its DVD players.

Based on what I have read about the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700, it looks like an excellent buy for $800. I wonder how it performs on the audio side.

10. John Meringolo

Well, I guess I asked for it!! I bought it prior to all the above feedback which I honestly do appreciate. So what is a good DVD-A / V player? Also I do not see this "bug". Can someone educate me ?

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I am no expert on the chroma bug, but Chris described it well in an above post. Also, do a search on this board for "chroma bug". You will get more hits that you could ever want to read through.
    A couple progressive-scan players that get high marks around here are the Denon DVD-1600 and Panasonic DVD-RP91. Both are single-disc DVD-Audio players and sell for around $500. They show no chroma bug. The '1600 is based on Panasonic's cheaper 'RP56. Unfortunately, as a $500 player, the '1600 has no coaxial digital output, which is a carryover from the design of the budget-minded 'RP56. Based on what I have read, I would expect the '1600 to be the better audio component.
    Note that the Denon '1600 and '3800 use different video chipsets. Panasonic uses a Genesis chipset that shows no chroma bug, and since the '1600 is based on the Panasonic 'RP56, it has the Genesis chipset. Denon uses a different brand chipset for DVD players designed in house like the '3800 and '9000, which are more expensive than the '1600. Don't ask me why.
    The Panasonic 'RP56 for around $200 is also well regarded. I have read here that the '1600 is better than the 'RP56 on the video side. The 'RP56 also doesn't offer DVD-Audio playback. Still, it is a solid buy for $200.
    As was discussed earlier in this thread, the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 DVD-Audio carousel changer is well regarded. The price recently dropped from $1200 to $800, and it could very well be the best buy out there. It shows no chroma bug.
    For $1200, you could get the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M 403-disc DVD-Audio megachanger. It's a megachanger version of the '5700, but I don't know how the sound quality of the two compare. For less money, Kenwood makes the '5050M 403-disc megachanger that lacks DVD-Audio playback.
    For more information on these players, check out www.crutchfield.com . Best of luck.

12. John Meringolo

Thanks, I guess I am going to sell my 3800

13. James St

James St Supporting Actor

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, I think you are right. My bad. I tend not to keep up with developments in progressive-scan technology as I do with other aspects of the hobby. Still, none of those players show the chroma bug. Thanks for correcting me.

15. Chris Madalena

Well took back the 3800 and bought the 1600. In a word, WOW!! It was a little hard to get used to a 6 pound, basic looking dvd player. I still love to just look at my Technics A10. But as I replaced my old friend w/the 1600 and popped in a few test scenes, I was amazed at the picture and the audio. It was like watching film. Very smooth yet crisp images, striking color reproduction, and fabulous audio. My only complaint, and it's nit-picking, is that it's slow to read discs, and eject them from using the front of the unit. Aside from that, it was the best 500 bucks I've spent on my system.

On the audio side, it's punchy, warm and full bodied. DVD-A's sounded better than on my A10. I listened to Metheny's Imaginary Day DVD-A disc and was blown away by the amount of detail I heard. I was hearing things that I didn't notice on my Technics. Sorry, didn't get around to CD's but I will tonight and report back w/my findings.

Keith, I know you were in the same boat in regards to your A10, and I too was leary of the lesser build quality of the 1600. As I said it was hard to demote the Technics, but I am very pleased with my decision. It just goes to show you that 1200.00 for a dvd player (3800) doesn't mean it's going to be 1200.00 well spent.

Bottom line; if you are on the fence about this machine, it is worth it's weight and for my dollar it outperformed the 3800 in video quality hands down.

Highly recommended!!!

16. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Chris, how about 3800 Vs. 1600 on the audio side? I have the 1600 and love it!I had and returned an RP56 and was not as impressed on video as with the 1600. Audio I think is great. I was strongly considering the 3800 until I heard it confirmed that it has the bug. However, I am still curios hwo the two compare redbook and DVD-A.
    Marc_E

17. Chris Madalena

Marc,
    As far as DVD-A is concerned, I feel they are the same. I'm sure the 3800 might get the edge due to having AL24 plus, but what I heard from the 1600 made the hair on my neck stand up. I was VERY impressed w/the audio from regular cd's on the 3800, and suspect that the 1600 will deliver the goods as well. I have not had a chance to listen to a cd yet on the 1600 however.
    If I had an unlimited budget, I'd gladly pop for the 3800 as an audio-only player. But the fact that it has a few issues, I can't justify paying that amount of dough for a product that isn't flawless. I realize nothing's perfect but.......
    So for now the 1600 is the answer to my "one box" solution. That is until something better comes along
    [​IMG]

18. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

19. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Chris,
    Thanks for that comparison. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear because that is what I was concluding from other owners opinions. Yours was the best because you are the first that I have come across that had both units. I agree about the DVDA on the 1600. Absolutely wonderful! Before I got this player, my HT/Music ratio was 9/1 not 6/4 because of the great sounds out of this player.

Thanks
    Marc

20. Chris Madalena

Marc,

As I own close to 1000 cd's, it's important to me to have great audio quality. I debated on buying a seperte cd player because I wasn't too happy the way cd's sounded on the Technics. I think I made a good call on the 1600. Minor gripes aside, it's probably the best player in it's class or above for the money.