What's new

Denon DVD-3800, Toshiba 9200 & Pioneer 47 (1 Viewer)

Joe e h

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I am starting the process of choosing a DVD-A player. I am interested in these models, but am not set on them. I was looking for information, comments or general input about these or a suggested DVD A player.

I have an Anthem Pre/Pro so the bass management is not an issue. My RPTV is analog, but it is the 3rd item on my list to be upgraded, probably around spring. So I would want progressive scan outputs.

I would like to stay at a max of $1000us dollars. I am currently using a DVL-700 DVD/LD player I bought new in December of 97. So video performance is a big plus and a much needed improvement. I will be keeping the DVL-700 due to Laser Disc collection.

Thanks
Joe

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Of those units, I have the DV-47A in my bedroom system for just over 4 months. I also have heard the Rotel RDV-1080 many times at the current $950 list is a worthy consideration. The Pioneer does a decent job on progressive can as does the Rotel. I've seen them on big screens. Both are very good on DVD-A and close in quality. The Rotel is built better and also gives you a nice numerical read out of the audio resolution on the DVD-A disc. Both are decent as CD players, the edge going to the Rotel for build quality. The Pioneer does not have a lot of mass and sounds much better now with little Bright Star stick on feet underneath and a Bright Star little rock on top. The Pioneer also has SACD capability. My bedroom system feeds 4 other places via speaker switchers and so a univeral player was a must. I previously had a Sony 9000ES in the bedroom The Pioneer is just OK on SACD. I would call it a step above the Sony 500 (DVD/SACD - which I am familiar with since I bought my brother one) and a hair below the 9000ES on 2-channel SACD. For SACD, I am not fond of the fact with the Pioneer that to change from multi-channel to 2-channel SACD or to the 2-channel portion of a hybrid disc one needs to go back to the menu vs. a button on the remote or unit. Of course that is not an issue for DVD-A. Rotel of course comes with a 5-year warranty too. The new generation of Pioneer will be out in the fall but since bass management is not an issue, I'm not sure that these will be any better for your needs

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Joe,

I recommend staying clear of the Denon 3800. Do some search in this forum, there have been some recent discussions of its problems.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, do a search for these three players (Denon, Toshiba, and Pioneer models). They have all been discussed quite a bit here. In my opinion, the Toshiba is an excellent value for around $500 or so. It is a great component in every respect. The '47A is a nice component too, but I feel the build quality is lacking for the price.

Regarding the Rotel RDV-1080, I have heard it a few times at a local dealer, and it is a nice player. What bothers me is that the build quality is lacking for the price. The '1080 borrows its chassis from the budget JVC XV-D721BK/D723GD DVD-Audio player, which probably explains the average build quality. Also, the '1080, like the JVC, lacks stereo analog outputs. It only has multi-channel inputs. This would be a problem if you wanted to route the '1080 to two systems. You can't. My DVD-Audio player has stereo analog outputs and 5.1-channel outputs, and I have the player routed to my stereo and home-theater systems. Finally, the Rotel, has a detachable power cord, but not an IEC type, which is the type that is generally desired for upgrading. In my opinion, the Rotel performs like a $1000 player, but is not outfitted like one (average build quality, lack of stereo analog outputs, wrong type of power cord).

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joe,

I bought the toshiba about 5 months ago and am very pleased with it. Excellent audio and video performance. It can be had for around $500 which makes it a great choice.

Be wary though, some users have a 'buzzing' problem with the transport. I have not had this problem though, so I am very happy with the unit.

Good luck.

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks