Denon DVD-3800 dvd player review kinda

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Goode, May 14, 2002.

1. Richard Goode

I have received the the Denon DVD-3800 player. The review

will only be on the video because my Avr-5800 has been sent in for the upgrade. As soon as I get my receiver back I will follow up on the audio portion. I'am viewing the 3800 on a Toshiba 65h80 through bettercables component cables.

I have only viewed the progressive output and it looks awesome. This player has the chroma bug, but it is hardly noticable. It is a huge stepup from the Denon DVD-2800 which

was my dvd player that I was currently using. The picture has alot more depth and the colors seems to be more vivid. This player has a very film like image to it. I have watched Toy Story 1&2 and the chroma bug is there but it is no where near as bad as my previous player. There are alot of movies where I noticed the chroma problem on the 2800, but I couldn't see it on the 3800. To me the biggest improvement is in the color and the improved sharpness. I have viewed several different parts of dvd's and each one has shown great improvement over the dvd-2800. You owe it to yourslf to at least go a demo this dvd player. The chroma bug is there but not nearly as bad as in previos players. As I said earlier as soon the AVR-5800 comes back from the upgrade I will post my thoughts on audio playback.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Richard, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's nice that the chroma bug is not as severe as with the '2800, but it is still disappointing to hear that it is there at all on a $1200 player. Hopefully Denon will come up with an upgrade to completely eliminate the problem.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the audio capabilities of this player since I will consider it for DVD-Audio. Do keep us informed.

3. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Hey thanks for the review!Ive been interested in this one for a while.hows the layer change,thats really the decision maker for me.

Thanks in advance!

Luis S

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

5. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

It's worth noting that reliableaudiovideo.com is not an authorized Denon dealer. I want to say that they are affiliated with Uncle's Stereo in New York City, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, keep in mind that reliableaudiovideo.com is not authorized before you simply go after the better price.

For those who live in and around New York City, J&R Music World is selling the Denon '3800 for $1000 out of their store on Park Row. J&R is an authorized Denon dealer, but does not sell Denon by mail.

7. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I recently acquired the 3800 as well. It has a problem with AIX DVD-Audio discs. While the display indicates the mix is 5.1, no sound comes out of the center or rear speakers. I called Denon tech support, they are going to acquire some AIX discs and check it out.

8. Richard Goode

Luis, the layer change on the dvd-3800 apears to be seamless

I haven't had any problems with about 10 movies. It realy is amazing of the colors and detail on this player I was watching A bugs Life last night and I saw things that I had never seen before. As I said before this player is a huge step up from the dvd-2800. The new menus are also improved, when you go to set up menu the movie pauses and you make the adjustments. When you close the menu the movie starts where it was paused, as with the dvd-2800 you had to stop the dvd to get in the menus. Hopefully my receiver will get back soon so I can see what the audio performance will be like.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, I assume the '3800 is working fine with DVD-Audio discs from other record labels. Are you sure you simply don't have a defective player?

10. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Keith,

I works fine on Warner and Silverline discs.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks for the info., Craig. Have you tried the AIX discs on other DVD-Audio players?

12. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Keith,

No I haven't. This is my first DVD-A player. I have not heard anyone complain about AIX discs not working and the symptoms are the same for all 3 AIX discs that I have. I would therefore not suspect the problem to be the discs.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, thanks. I too have never heard of anyone having problems with the AIX discs, but I thought I would throw it out there. It seems like something is amiss with the player. It's odd, whatever it is. I hope you get a quick response from Denon. Do you have a local dealer that has the '3800 on display so that you could try your discs on another unit?

14. Bill Cheng

Bill Cheng Auditioning

Hay gentlemen,
    u talk about the dvd2800, do u talk about the MK2 version or the original version?
    Bill [​IMG]

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, welcome to the Forum. I see you joined a few weeks ago, but a welcome is in order since you just entered your first post. [​IMG]
    I don't believe the DVD-2800 Mk II is out in the US yet. Www.crutchfield.com , a well known retailer in the US, still does not show the '2800 Mk II in stock. They claim it will be available on Friday. Here is the link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...2800II&o=m&a=0
    Crutchfield is still selling the original '2800.

16. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

17. Richard Goode

Craig F, we live close to each other. I live In Melbourne over on the coast. I go to Orlando all the time. I bought my Def Tehs over there. Are there any good places in Orlando to buy dvd-audio discs. I have had a hard time finding them in Melbourne. Have you had any other problems

with the audio on the dvd-3800, I still have not received my 5800 back from Denon on the upgrade. It should be here in another week. I must say that I'am really impressed with video of the dvd-3800, It is a huge step up from the dvd-2800.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, understood. No Denon dealer in the Orlando area means there is business opportunity. [​IMG] Keep us informed about what Denon does for you.

19. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Richard,
    I get most of my DVD-A's online at http://www.dvdempire.com
    Best Buy has a small section of them next to the DVD Musical section. Virgin Records in Downtown Disney also has a few scattered about the store.
    The AIX discs are the only ones I have a problem with. The rest sound great. I cranked up "Hotel California" this afternoon. WOW!!!
    BTW, I'm actually about an hour SouthWest of Orlando. Mostly oranges around here. [​IMG]
    Keith,
    I will update when I get more info.

20. Bill Cheng

Bill Cheng Auditioning

KeithH,
    Thanks for your information, MK2 is available in Hong Kong and the price is around US$700.
    What I interested is while the 3800 is better than the MK1(I assumed) in terms of video performance and if Mk2 is again better than the MK1 then, should I go for the MK2 or simply go for the 3800 as I'm looking for a DVD player.
    BTW, do you have any comment on my system?
    Audio
    Conrad Johnson - PV5 pre-amp
    Conrad Johnson - MV75 power-amp
    Sonus Faber - Electra speaker
    Denon DCD2560 cd player
    Video
    AWIA dvd player(has to be retired)
    Denon AVR3802
    Dali Blue floor stand front
    proaudio Center
    KEF bipolar surround
    kef back surround
    DG-TEC HDTV turner
    Sony 11HT
    Do you think the 2800 is suitable for me or may be u can advise me another model.
    Bill
    [​IMG]