What's new

Denon DVD-3800 $498!!! NEW (south Florida)..... (1 Viewer)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hey just wanted to give any fellow South Floridians a heads up. Brandsmart USA is clearing out the 3800 for $498 NEW. A hell of a price on a great player. They also had a pretty good price on the 1600 though Im embarrased to say I dont remember how much. :b Anyway this was the brandsmart off of I-95 & 10th street in pompano but their other store should have the same prices. Just wanted to let you guys know! :D

Later,

Luis S

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I would check this out... but given Brandsmart's reputation of stocking refurbished electronics and passing them off as "new"... I'm hesitant. But that price point... wow...Decisions, decisions... PAYDAY! Lawyer's salary, please...

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

Ive been shopping at Brandsmart since I can remember. While I can imagine some products could be refurbished I dont think that applies to many items sold there.I think it would be pretty obvious when you bought it. In other words, Id be more suspicious of an older model in a beat up box than an item thats fairly new and really hasnt had time enough on the market to be sold as refurbished. Not to mention its pretty hard to fake that new gear smell when the box is first opened! :D I imagine the 3800 didnt sell very well and its just on its way out. Heck the 2800II is selling for under $300 dollars! :eek: If it werent such a buggy machine I would have scooped it up for the bedroom.

Personally Im more concerned with Brandsmart phasing out DENON completely. Its obvious they dont sell enough of it and since thats probably why they dont carry NHT speakers anymore I figure its only a matter of time. :frowning: To many people shop there to save a buck. Having high-end gear there almost seems pointless IMHO.Hopefully DENON is still there when I upgrade my receiver. ;)

And if you have some kinda inside scoop on Brandsmart please let me know! My whole family has bought from there before and I wouldnt want to keep shopping there if what you say applies to everything.

Thanks,

Luis S

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Luis,

I have no inside scoop save for what I was personally told by the owner of an extreme high-end stereo/home theater outfit in Coral Gables. I've also heard the same scuttlebutt elsewhere, but I have nothing definitive (someone call Al Sunshine!) or substantiated to back up that claim. So please take my comments with a grain of salt, although for some reason I tend to believe them. My last two times at Brandsmart (before hearing the rumor) was like a trip to the zoo or the old "Incredible Universe" fiasco.

One of my coworkers recently bought a digital camera there and was surprised to see that the seal on the box had been broken (well, sliced, really) and that many of the components inside (USB cords, power cords, etc.) were not pre-wrapped with a twistie but rather left tightly wound. I advised her to return it and pick the same camera up elsewhere.

Again, your mileage may vary. I'm not here to badmouth Brandsmart (I bought my current DVD player and Sub there), but I would definitely keep a sharp eye on your products when you take them home.

Then again, if Best Buy, Circuit City, or any of the like were stocking refurbished items, and were sneaky enough about it -- how could I tell?

Thanks for the heads up, though :) -- I'm still debating on whether or not to stop by the store off the Palmetto and 47th after work!

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Incredible Universe, wow did that bring back memories! Did that place bomb or what! Well I would definitely take another AV dealers word with a big ole grain of salt (Sound Advice Badmouthed Brandsmart in a similar fashion one time I was there) Since they're just probably after your sale.

Reason I replied is that Way back one time I bought a small tv there and when they brought it out to me the box looked wrecked. I didn't think much of it (working at best buy now,I see how these things are handled coming off the truck. It ain't pretty folks) but after your comment it made me wonder.

As always the best policy is too thoroughly inspect your purchase. If something looks suspicious take it back. Don't take any chances with your gear. You never know what a dealer will do to save a buck.

And Matthew, maybe I'll see you there sometime. I'm always going to Brandsmart to oogle gear!:D Though I prefer the Sawgrass store myself.

Later,

Luis S

P.S. Debating? Hey you don't HAVE to buy anything, just go do some window shopping! ;)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I've bought most of my gear from Brandsmart and have never reveived anything used items. Heck most of the time they open the boxes right in front of you to write the serial number on the receipt.
Now, every couple of months Brandsmart has these Invitation Only Sales (you really don't need one :D ) where they sell most of their open boxes and returns for cheap. During one of those sales I picked up an open box Sony HD SAT100 for $48.00. I recently saw it as an open box at CC for $598.
As for one retailer talking bad about another, I won't comment cause we already know.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
For the record, the dealer who told me about Brandsmart is a personal friend, and wasn't try to make a sale to me at all -- he was just delivering a friendly warning. :)

Anyway, this was back in 1998. Even if he was right (or partially right), things might have changed by now.

Now I'm going to have go check it out anyhow, because that price is too damn good, even if it were open-box. :D

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Michael, $48!!!! Man what a steal! Wish I could find a deal like that. :frowning: Maybe next time :D

Matthew, I didnt realize it was a friend of yours. Sorry if I insulted you or anything. However having met Brandsmart's owner,I wouldnt be surprised if its true to some extent. Like you said That may not be the case anymore but you never know.

Now youre talking! :D Hopefully it applies to all Brandsmarts and not just the Pompano store...

Luis S

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I worked at the Pompano store for a few weeks before I moved back here. I hate the place but just and FYI it is illegal to sell stuff that is refurbished without advertising as such. Now them selling open box items at new prices I would believe. I also worked for Sound Advice in Plantation for 5yrs. 91-96

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Matthew, I didnt realize it was a friend of yours. Sorry if I insulted you or anything.
No apologies necessary at all Luis, I should have been clearer in my initial post. And I'm with you, we got to get in on some of these "invitation-only" sales... Michael's deal was simply groin-grabbingly cool!

As far as it being illegal to sell refurbished items as new... well... this is South Florida.... ;)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
I take it it wasn't pleasant to work there? I can believe that,I can usually pick up the vibe that everyone is under alot of unnecessary stress. If it wasn't one of the only places to get the stuff I like I wouldn't even shop there. I almost worked for SA myself,never happened but I always wondered how it would be in there. Care to share your experience? PM me if you don't mind.

Matthew,
No problem,just wanted to be sure I didn't offend you as I have been myself when someone speaks to soon. Im glad I don't have to taste my foot. ;) And as for a Sony HD SAT100 for $48.00? Let me tell you I would knock down an old lady if she was in the way of a deal like that! :laugh: I would be grinning for weeks if I scooped that up! Especially since Im dying for some HDTV! Some folks have all the luck.Glad Im not the only one that grabbed themselves after reading that. :b

Later,

Luis S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks