Denon DVD-2900 vs. DVD-5900 Help!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Lessard, Jan 31, 2004.

1. David Lessard

David Lessard Auditioning

I have been waiting for quite some time now for a universal player that truly has it all. My question to this forum is simply this. Is the Denon DVD-5900 the one I have been waiting for and is it worth the extra $$$ over the 2900. Lastly, someone like me with more money than brains, is set-up of the 5900 a complicated endeavor? Thanks so much!

2. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

David.

2900 owners will tell you to go the 2900 way and 5900 owners will tell you to go the 5900 way...

Here's a good thread where there is alot of 5900 owners that made the switch from the 2900 to the 5900.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=309406

If you read this 1000 posts long thread you will see that every former 2900 owners (and there is alot of them) prefer the 5900 by a wide margin.

DVI connection, firewire, way better bas management, +10db boost, almost infinite tweaking of the PQ, even over DVI!

BTW, the ''macroblocking'' issue has been solved and Denon should fix it by a firmware upgrade soon.

I had the 3800, the 2900 and the 5900 in-house to compare them. The 5900 is way better for PQ and sound quality. I would buy it again for 1000$ more in a heart-beat!

And the 5900 is an incredible modding platform (go see Modright impression on his site) if you are interested in this, or go see this link.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=6856

Here's an interesting quote from Modright (because he has worked with both the 2900 and 5900 and almost all the Sony's...).

''I liked this piece much more than I expected and would have to say that it is the best Universal Player that I have worked with yet, that is also reasonably priced. I have yet to hear the Esoteric, but for 3x the price, it would hve to be a LOT better than the Denon to pursuade me to recommend it over the 5900.''

3. David Lessard

Thanks so much, I wanted to confirm that the 5900 is worth the dollars and now I believe it is!

4. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

How about a modded 2900 for around the price of a stock 5900. Then what?

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

The mods do not cover the video section.

6. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I understand the gamma curve is available to component, not DVI. Is there any trick through picture adjustment to play around gray level when using DVI?

Thanks,

Simon

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 5900,it's simply overpriced for what it is.Having said that the 2900 is too much for $999.00 as well.But if you got money to burn go for it!I would also look into the Pioneer Elite just came out. Just my 2 cents!

8. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

It is hardly surprising that people who have paid twice as much for a player will defend their decision to upgrade. David, how is the fact that some users are happy with their decision to upgrade confirm the wisdom of your choice? As usual, I recommend you do what you can to get a home trial with each player to see which is better for your system and tastes. Otherwise, you may well be wasting a $1,000 you could use elsewhere. In the alternative, have your dealer perform a side by side comparison on music and movies for you. I have heard countless times how one piece of gear "blows away" another one. The usual fact is that the differeneces are small and the reaction to same subjective. The change may be worth it to you, but you should take the time to decide for yourself based on your own experience, and not what others tell you. Just my .02.

9. Levesque

Stephen.

I completely agree that the BEST way to choose a player is to bring it home and try it, in your house, for real.

But when you have a 1000 posts long thread of satisfied owners. And with alot of them that made the switch from the 2900 to the 5900, it can't be only ''people who have paid twice as much for a player will defend their decision to upgrade'' hysteria...

Do you really think that all those 5900 owners are really only defending their buying decision? Why would Secrets give the 5900 the highest rating ever?

David should try to compare the 2900, 5900 and the new Pio in-house and decide by himself. That's the wisest thing to do, if he can...

But hey. Some people feel the 5900 is overpriced, while others think it's the best deal ever, because it can compete with universal players costing 3-4 times more. My sister thinks that a 75$ Apex DVD-player at Wal-Mart is overpriced! You see. Different needs.

There is alot of different players on the market at different prices, because there is different customers with different budget.

But please don't make it like people buying a 5900, or a Sony SACD player at 4000-5000$ are stupid people. If you feel the 5900 is overpriced, it's ok to express it, but it's only YOUR opinion, and it's not helping the original poster.

Put some links to back-up your claims, like professionnal reviews, or 1000 long threads of owners. Because this can help someone make a wise decision. You didn't try the player in house? Then please don't comment on something you don't have a clue about, because you didn't hear it.

It's easy to say a Porshe is overpriced. But did you ever drive one? If not, don't talk about something you don't know. Because then it's only joe-six-Pack opinion. Try it, drive it, push it to the limit, then your comment will have some value.

It's not elitism. It's only that I don't find it useful for anyone when people judge products by the price, or considering their own budget, and then pass judgement on people that did buy those products.

10. gregD

gregD Second Unit

By all means, do some auditioning... add the Yamaha DVD-S2300 to your list, too... at $800, it has received nothing but positive reviews.

Many on this forum have anointed the high-end Denons to be the universal players of choice... but there are other worthy options.

Do as much homework as you can.. then make your own call, based on your performance / price standards.

11. Stephen M

Levesque, you started your answer reasonably and then went on a meaningless rant about how a 1000 people can't be wrong and then ended up with a Porche argument[​IMG] . Geeez, I heard Denon called a lot of things but never compared to a great sportscar! Its a good midfi brand and thats it. I suggest you listen and watch a Linn before you make generalizations about the best. I did not say people who bought the 5900 are stupid. However spending $1000 extra based soley on what you and others say I ought to do is stupid IMO. I could care less what Secrets says about this player since in three months another player will be crowned the new king and no doubt lots of you 5900 owners will buy it, sing its praises and wonder how you ever lived with the 5900. Actually contrary to your statement, my post will help the original poster because all I said is listen and watch for himself[​IMG] Therefore, since you do not oppose this advice, your rant is meaningless.

12. Levesque

''However spending $1000 extra based soley on what you and others say I ought to do is stupid IMO.''

It's the only thing you said that I agree with. I completely agree. Bring it home and try it. Always do this for ANY piece of gear before buying it. Always.

Sorry for the Porsche comparison. It was not a good one.

It was not a rant. Just my way of saying that if you didn't bring one home, and never heard it for real, or never used it, then don't comment.

But I did gave some pointers and link to back my position and help the original poster complete his research... You didn't.

Peace.

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

So out of the 1000 posts how many was the actual count of the owners who bought a 5900 after having the 2900?
    You may wanna "champion" that number not the 1000 one.[​IMG]

14. Stephen M

I have heard both the 2900 and 5900 at a dealers showroom. While there are differences, they are subtle and subjective. I'd rather save $1000 and get the 2900, but that opinion was based on hands on experience and not a 1000 man thread testimonial.[​IMG]

15. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Please post also the 2900 owners that tried the 5900 and thought it is NOT worth 1k more.

16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug

Interesting. I've had both machines in my home theater and found the 5900 to be a much better universal player than the 2900. No contest. In my system SACD and DVD-A performance were noticably better, and on Redbook CD playback the 5900 totally eclipsed the 2900. The audio comparison was done using the analog outputs on both players.

The most glaring difference, however, was progressive component video performance. The 5900 produced a much more detailed, 3-dimensional, and "natural" image than the 2900, which was quite a bit softer. Again, no contest. The comparison was done on an ISF calibrated Hitachi 57SWX20B CRT RPTV and yes, both players were calibrated with AVIA on separate display inputs.

For what it's worth, there's my hands-on experience. In my opinion the 5900 is certainly worth $1K more than the 2900, IF you have the downstream equipment to reveal the improvements.

17. David Lessard

Well if price point is going to drive my decision when all we are talking about here is single percentage points in sound and picture quality for. What about a B stock 2900 at 500.00 bucks vs. the almost retail for the 5900, then what. Plus now I have to throw into the mix the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi at about a grand. With the rapid pace that equipment changes and improves, wouldn't the prudent decision to be just buy the B stock for 500.00 and be done with it? I have never had a DVD player that lasted more then three years in my rack anyway. Now I am confused!!

18. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

I got my 2900 brand new for 700 and love it. I can't compare it to the 5900 though becuase I've never used one before....

I'm using a Pioneer Elite 530HDI, AVR-3803, and Paradigm Studio v.3s

19. Stephen M

Well, Doug, I find your experience with the comparision enlightening and your decision was rational based on performance. I suspect the average purchaser ( e.g. 1000 man thread)did not perform a thorough test like you before making the decision. Its been my experience that a lot of people who fail to do their homework and buy on word of mouth end up buying something else every six months or so because they have no direct experience with comparing components and, when the next hot player comes out, they buy it based on word of mouth. Great news for dealers though [​IMG]

20. David Lessard

Stephen

Is it not true that unless I had these units sitting side by side in my house right now, word of mouth and peoples hopefully educated opinion and experience is how most purchasing decisions are made? It just is not practical to do A, B comparisons in your home all of the time. Listening to them at your local dealer is a waste of time because the support equipments is not going to ever match what you have in your system.

At the end of the day, this is all subjective and I count on the fine people that you find on these pages to steer me in the right direction. I am sure if I buy the 2900 the 5900 or the Pioneer DV59-AVi I would be a happy camper. The fact is, I am not a flavor of the month type buyer so I am trying to make an educated decision.