What's new

Denon DVD-2900 Owners: Moulin Rouge Problem? (1 Viewer)

RogerR

Grip
I was just curious if any other owners of the Denon DVD-2900 have tried playing the Moulin Rouge dvd, and if so, whether they have experienced playback problems starting at about Ch. 12? The disk plays fine on my older Toshiba player.
I have had the Denon player for about a week and, other than this one problem, absolutely love its performance on both audio and video playback.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
RogerR,

Ive had problems with Gone in Sixty Seconds(Nic Cage) and recently The Astronauts Wife. And I too have had no other complaints. I have Moulin Rouge Ill see if I have the same problem (well my wife will anyway,Im not in a hurry to see it again :D) I had stuttering playback. Is this what you experienced as well? DVDA and SACD play fine as do most movies except for these two. Could we be victims of DVD rot or something? Perhaps the discs are defective and the DENON is too sensitive to the errors?

Do you have any of the two discs I had problems with? if so would you mind checking them out for me? GiSS Has A really bad layer change,somewhere around when the younger kids steal the SUV,and The Astronauts Wife starts to stutter when Charlieze is arguing with her sister.

If anybody else can verify these problems or can chime in with other discs that wont play please do.I just found it very odd that every disc Ive played has gone without a hitch but those two had problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated by myself and RogerR.

Thanks in advance,

Luis S

RogerR

Grip
Luis S:
Yes, stuttering playback is a good way to describe the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have either of the disks you mention, so I can't check those. Maybe I'll try a few other disks this evening that I haven't already tried and see if I experience any similar problems.
It had occurred to me as well that the Denon might simply be too sensitive to disk scratches and the like. My Moulin Rouge disk has been played and handled many times (it's one of my favorite demo disks), and it does have a few, very light, very small scratches. I may try getting a clean copy and see what happens.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Thats my thinking as well Roger. Perhaps being too sophisticated a DVD player prevents proper playback of some titles. Amazing how my cheap players can handle everything but a player costing a $1000 flips out at the slightest blemish. The price of "perfection" I guess. :laugh: I'll give MR a spin tonight and see if I get a similar effect to what you experienced.

Later,

Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Roger,

I tried MR from Chapters 11-13 and it played without a hitch. My copy also had some very light scratches. Very strange no doubt.Do you know anyone with the dvds I mentioned? If so could you give them a spin? Id hate to go and replace them only to find out that those particular discs simply arent compatible for whatever reason. Any help is always appreciated.

Later,

Luis S

RogerR

Grip
Sorry, Luis, but don't have anyone local with those disks, which is not surprising since none of my local friends and family have all that many dvds in general. We can't all be fanatical about it, I guess.';)'
I tried a random number of additional disks last night, including one that was very scratched, and all played without a hitch. I have also picked up a new copy of Moulin Rouge, and will try those problem chapters tonight. I told my sister about the problem, and she agreed to take one of the MR disks off of my hands, so I won't be any worse off even if it suffers from the same problem. But after your test, I expect it will play without any problems. I hope, anyway.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
I will also try MR. Two discs that have given my 2900 problems (stuttering, I stopped and restarted) are The Virgin Suicides and Laurel Canyon. Anyone else have issues with these?

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Man this is a bizarre problem . :confused: It seems each of us has a problem with different, unrelated disc's! All are not even from the same studio,otherwise we could at least chalk it up to a studios authoring method. Very strange indeed. Perhaps our 2900's are sentient and dislike certain movies! :D Anybody else care to chime in with some other problem disc's? Im curious to see what else is out there I could try...

Later,

Luis S

RogerR

Grip
Well, I tried a clean copy of Moulin Rouge and it played without any problems the chapters I had consistent problems with on my original copy.

Well, the one good thing is that it doesn't appear to be random defective performance by the player. By that, I mean that the player seems to be very consistent in only stuttering at particular spots and only those spots. So it is definitely being triggered by what it is reading off the disk, not just randomly acting up.

Now, if only we knew what it was reading off the disk that was causing it this occasional problem. Is it something in the coding or flagging, or some surface error on the particular disk?

Curious. But, I still think it's a great player.

Roger

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What you just did is what I was about to suggest: Try another copy of the same disc. Proof positive that mass replication isn't entirely perfected. Glad you're enjoying the new player; it's a good one.

Luis S

Supporting Actor

Amen to that.:D It kinda bugs me but to be honest just about every dvd player Ive ever owned has had a disc it would simply refuse to play. So Im not incredibly annoyed.

Ill see if I can find other copies of my problem DVDs and report back my results.

Later,

Luis S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks