Denon DVD-2900 issue

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim DeSisto, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Jim DeSisto

Jim DeSisto Auditioning

I just received my new Denon DVD-2900 player that replaced my Pioneer Elite DV-37. I can tell you that the build is superior and I love all the features it has. Audio has really impressed me so far, but I have to say I am a bit disappointed by it's video performance.

Got everything hooked, went through all the configs and sat down to watch a movie. Threw in Monster's Inc. and was prepared to be amazed...um, not quite. Sound was awesome, but I can see significant combing on certain edges. Mike(little green eyball) has this combing effect around his body, which really disappoints me. And I swear I've seen the chroma bug rears it's ugly head in a few places, although this player is supposed to not have that issue. I am outputting in progressive scan to my 36" HDTV, Panasonic TAU CT-36HX40. Any suggestions on my next course of action. I certainly don't feel like I'm getting the performance I expected. Also, could my TV be the culprit and not the player. Your suggestions and comments are appreciated.[​IMG]

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Monsters Inc is known to be improperly flagged. Its minor, but noticable. The 2900 is 99% chroma-bug free, but Mosters Inc is one of the few discs it shows up on. But in this case, its a result of the disc being improperly flagged. I have a 2900, andout of my 350 discs, I only see this error on 3 discs. You may occasionally notice it on video based material like making-of featurettes.

From http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

"Because the SiI504 preserves all the chroma detail, you see the effects of ICP very clearly on certain discs that are video sourced. This is not a bug..."

3. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

There is a possibilty the new 2900s do not even have the alt prog flag issue anymore. Not evident with a new player on a plasma, plan to check on my RP CRT as soon as it is back from the shop to ensure this was not just somehow covered up by the display but a recent 2200 has also been shown to be alt prog flag problem free as well. I am cautiously optimistic right now.

In all honesty I would check and double check your settings are right to make sure you aren't in interlace mode somehow.