What's new

Denon DVD-2800 MKII (1 Viewer)

NicholasL

Second Unit
For those who do have the pre-september 2002 models (as a friend of mine does), how would they go about fixing the chroma and Y/C delay problem (and what is the Y/C delay issue not to mention)? Does it have something to do with contacting Denon and requesting a cd upgrade which somehow fixes the dvd player?

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Denon dealers supply a CD to remove the chroma upsampling error in early 3800's.

Y/C Delay you have to remove yourself by using Pr and Pb cables that are 18-20 feet longer than the Y cable going to your display or A/V.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Thanks Phil. However, won't that mean that you will lose incredible signal information by using such long cables? Also, would anyone happen to know why Crutchfield has not heard of this firmware CD? I'm sure everyone knows Denon's customer service line is a joke, so I take it nobody can't get one from them.

And finally, and I apologize greatly if I sound like a true idiot, but how will a CD fix components that were physically replaced by Denon after 09/2002?

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
No information is lost with the longer cables of you use high end video cables (expensive in long lengths) or RG6 satellite cables (inexpensive in long lengths). Just calibrate after you install the longer cables like you should with any new cables in your system to compensate for any slight component video attenuation mismatch introduced by the longer Pr and Pb cables.

I have no idea why Crutchfield doesn't know about the CD. B&M dealers did. DenonJeff sent some out personally to owners, too.

The new decoders installed in September are supposed to already by chroma bug free - so no CD is required. I don't know what the CD will do to/with these new decoders.

I do know that a 3800 (mine) is awesome with no chroma bug and no Y/C Delay! :emoji_thumbsup:

NicholasL

Second Unit
Last question I promise! Do you know if after installing the firmware CD, the 3800 performs as good as the late model 3800's with the already-fixed chroma bug problem? Thank you again!

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
NicholasL,

I don't know what "performs as good" means. Don Munsil says a CD-patched 3800 does not have the chroma bug. I don't know of anyone doing a shootout comparison between old/new 3800's.

My early 3800 puts out images that are 3D-like, film-like, have rich/deep colors, have no video noise, have no jaggies, have spectacular black level detail, are smooth as silk, are sharp as a tack, have no Y/C Delay, are Pr color-corrected, and with no layer changes. Movie images in the theater now bore me compared to watching DVD's at home on the 3800 and a Pioneer Elite 58" CRT RPTV.

(How's that for a non-objective, "performs good" description probably of absolutely no value to anybody! :D )

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Well guys it looks like Im gonna hold out for the 2900. After some thinking I decided against going with anything else like say a 3800 because A.Its gonna get hard to find one,especially if Im looking for a specific build date and B. By the time they hit a price Im comfortable with the 2900 will be out and hopefully bug free.:D Thanks to you all for your input, sometimes its tough to fight upgradeitis,but thanks to you guys Ill be able to hold out just a little longer ;)

Thanks to you all,

Luis S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks