Denon DVD 2200

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Jin, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I bought a Denon DVD-2200 player from Good Guys. After haggling with the price, we finally agreed on a package deal (extended warranty).

I got a decent deal on the Denon. Its more than I wanted to pay, but $80 off on the player ($520) and 5 year warranty ($125) with 36 months of same as cash.

I'm getting it tomorrow.

My question is, will I see an improvement in picture quality on my Panny PT47wx42?

My current DVD low end progressive Panny has been giving me so much problems at disc skipping or not reading at all, so, I really wanted a high end player.

I would had gotten the 910 or 1200, but it felt really cheap. Plus, I wanted an high end player.

I am using a Panasonic SA-HE200K receiver along with Acoustic Research component cables.

Will I see a difference with the 2200?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

It looks to me all you did was pay $50 extra than the list price for the DVD-2200. I'd advise to skip the extended warranty, thats why they only dealed with you if you got one.

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

This is true, but with my luck with A/V, I bought the warranty.

4. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I have definately noticed a difference in the 2200's picture. Had the 910 and it was good and seemed very "flat" - but the 2200 and it's Silicon de-interlacer just rocks. I don't watch silly animated movies so I don't care about the Chroma bug.

5. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Don,

Admirable job trying to tread crap. Kudos.

Tim,

I just bought a 2200 myself and but I haven't had a chance to use it much. Its my first chance to sample SACD and DVD-A and I just picked up a few DVD-A's today. I'm interested in how they compare to Dolby Digital.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

The 2200 is nice. You can really tell from progressive to interlace. You can switch modes on the fly. The progressive is so much better. Looks really good. You can really tell a difference.

You can control the contrast, brightness, sharpness and hue. I'm not sure about the hue. You can have 4 settings for different pictures. I turn the sharpness all the way down because its too sharp.

The player is well built. I've only tried DTS-ES from Two Towers and the receiver sees it and output in the correct audio. I'm happy about that.

Mp3's side is very nice. Instead of having all 600 songs onto one cd, you can burn the mp3's into folders, like Punk and Ska folders and the player will see them and you scroll down on the menu. Very nice.

I haven't tried DVD Audio yet.

Drawbacks: The disc and the player gets warm. There is no on or off switch on the player, just a toggle switch for the main power. The remote has an On and an Off button, funny.

The remote is only for the unit. There is no universal remote.

Yeah, for $500 or less on the net, its worth it.

7. Dave Schofield

This is the first DVD player I've ever had where I could hear the drive spinning up. Not loud, but enough that I can hear it. I, unfotunately can't use the Progressive scan yet, but I'm enjoying the DTS (didn't have it before) and trying to get the DVD-A worked out.

I don't mind the way they do the on/off. I have a Pronto, and it is nice to have the discrete on/off codes learned directly from the OEM remote. I've got a CD player that you can't turn on/off with the remote, so I'll take this discrete on/off any day.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Same remote that comes with the MSRP $999 2900... I already have a universal, so I have only used the 2200s remote on very rare occasion.

DVD-A sounds quite good on this unit. SACD sounds decent, but not quite as good as my 222ES.

9. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

I just got one to replace a Denon DVD 1600. First off, it's built much more robustly, with a reassuring weight to it (the 1600 was disturbingly light). The progressive picture is sharper/cleaner and the blacks are deeper, and I haven't noticed any chroma bug on mine at all. DVD-A and SACD sound wonderful once you set up the bass management and distance/delay (make sure you engage the 'bass boost' function), as many receivers (an NAD T163 preamp, in my case) with 5/7.1 channel direct input disengage the receiver's bass management and speaker settings when used for this. Yes, it does get warm, but overall I'm delighted with it, and I've been immersing myself in some jazz SACD's ever since I got it. Regular stereo CD performance was good, but I have an NAD 521BEE CD player to handle that (which sounds much better), so it's only DVD's and DVD-A/SACD audio playback on the 2200.

10. Asalante

Asalante Agent

I been looking at picking up the 220 as well. Just curious what I should be paying for this unit? I intend to hook this up with the Denon 3803 or 2803 receiver.

11. Dave Schofield

I picked up mine at Crutchfield, as they had a 10% off deal if you bought two or more components. I'm not sure I got the best price, but I am comfortable with Crutchfield and that is worth more to me than saving a few (or even several) bucks.

12. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Hey Dave,

Question for you. Does your player make a low sound while showing some menus and then stop when you start playing the movie? That's how mine is.

Anyone know if I should be concerned about this? Will it cause the motors to wear out?

Thanks
    Tim

13. Luis_Cortes

Luis_Cortes Auditioning

Im thinking of the 2200 myself. Would this be compatible with my widescreen rptv that has component video 480i signal only?

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't think there are many, if any, progressive players that do not also output interlaced. Yes, the 2200 can do interlaced just fine.