Denon DVD-2200 vs Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Comparison

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kage, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

Today, I bought the SCD-CE595 at a major retailer and ordered the SCD-C2000ES. Below is a comparison in sound quality in both SACD and redbook using the players DACS.

The equipment that I used for this comparison are:
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V640
    SACD Player: Sony SCD-CE595
    Universal Player: Denon DVD-2200
    Audio Cable: Acoustic Research Perfomance Series
    Speaker Cable: Monster XP
    Speakers: Polk Audio RTI38 (Front Pair), Polk Audio FXi30 (Rear Pair), Polk Audio CSi30 (Center), Yamaha YST-SW305 (Subwoofer)

Build Quailty
    Both the SCD-CE595 and DVD-2200 are built good for the respective price range.
    Winner: Tie

Features
    THe DVD-2200 wins in this category, because it has more features than the SCD-CE595.
    Winner: Denon DVD-2200

Redbook Sound Quality
    The Denon DVD-2200 redbook sound is undynamic, flat, uninspiring. The SCD-CE595 redbook sound is more alive, more dynamic, but not jaw dropping performance.
    Winner: SCD-CE595

SACD Sound Quality
    The DVD-2200's SACD sound quality sound is grainy, the sound quality is at the point between dead and alive. It is also listenable. The SCD-CE595 SACD sound quality is very good, clear, alive, detail.
    Winner:SCD-CE595

Conclusion
    Both the DVD-2200 and SCD-CE595 have very good performance on what they are optimized for. For the Denon DVD-2200 it is for video quality and DVD-Audio. For the Sony SCD-CE595 it is for SACD. I like both the DVD-2200 and SCD-CE595,
    I will use my Denon DVD-2200 for DVD-Audio and watching movies and for now the SCD-CE595 for SACD playback until the SCD-C2000ES that I ordered today and comes to my house.

2. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

"
    The Denon DVD-2200 redbook sound is undynamic, flat, uninspiring.

The DVD-2200's SACD sound quality sound is grainy, the sound quality is at the point between dead and alive.
    "

wow.. and I just bought the Denon 2200 for listening to SACDs and watching DVDs.. I better not look at this forum anymore. To me it sounds great!.. but what the heck do I know. Those are pretty rough statements. [​IMG]