What's new

Denon DVD-1910 PQ (1 Viewer)

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Toshiba 51HX83. I had an old Sony non-progressive DVD player.

I just got the Denon DVD-1910 but do not yet see any significant upgrade in PQ with 1080i through DVI or 720p through component yet.

Any suggestions on how to improve PQ? I've read the following on some forums:

1. Turn off the black enhancement for better PQ.
2. Use only the 720p because of Toshiba's H83 upscaling (?) (If so, why bother to buy a DVI player??)

Help.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Greg: You want to send the signal that matches the native resolution of you TV or projector. If it's 720 than that's the best signal to send it....it will display 1080i, but will potential to introducing artifacts etc.

The difference should not just be that it's 720 vs 480, but the fact that a DVI/HDMI signal stays in the digital path without the need to convert to analog. The difference is very obvious on my set up, but the image is being blown up to 106" diag screen too.

I demo'd a Pioneer 59avi at a local dealer. We switched back and forth between component 480P and upconverted DVI signal at 720P on their 42" plasma display....you could easily see a smoother, less back ground noise in the image.

Ron

Update: Dude, I thought you were using DVI or a straight digital path....DVI + Upconversion is the reason to own this player...if you are not or can't use this configuration, then it probably isn't much of an upgrade vs your current player. If you are needing player that upconverts through component, then the Zenith 318 (older versions) would do this.

Ron

John S

Senior HTF Member
Significant? So you can tell a difference?

Interesting..... I'd think that display, it would make a pretty large difference.

I'm pretty sure, that you cannot get 720p from Component video on that player though. Make sure to try both 720p and 1080i on the DVI side of things.

Some displays convert everything to like 540p if I remember correctly, these displays see the least improvement it seems from the upscale feature.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
There is no upconversion over component video for the 1910. You HAVE to use DVI to upconvert.

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
You are correct about no upconversion with the component, only DVI. My mistake.

But the problem remains. No better PQ with DVI at 1080i than my old Sony non-progressive. Any suggestions how to get a better PQ here?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I am truly speechless that you have no PQ improvement. I suspect you may have answered yourself in your original post. Have you tried these things?

Do you own DVE or Avia for calibration purposes?

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
I've just started looking into this player, as I'm getting a Toshiba 62hm84 in the next couple of weeks. I currently have a Denon DVD-1600 which I've been extremely satisfied with. However, since Denon has come out with a reasonably priced upconverting player, I'm wondering if I should splurge for a new one (I haven't even had my 1600 for a year yet!). I know the 1600 was a popular player, so does anyone have any input comparing the two? The only upconversion player I've seen was the Samsung HD831 (I think that's the model, it was the first one they came out with) and I thought it kind of sucked. After owning the 1600 though I'm a firm believer in Faroudja's DCDi (and bluejeans cables). So . . . if anyone has any feedback comparing the two, I'd appreciate it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
keep in mind that 480p is pretty darn good.

Most likely your display is providing this from any non-progressive scan player already.

You said no significant upgrade in PQ and that is very subjective you know. If you see any, than it is working as advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks