What's new

Denon DVD-1600 Region Problem (1 Viewer)

Matt Lee

Agent
I have a Denon 1600 DVD player which has served me well for the last year and a half. I did a search on the problem that has come up and didn't find anything resembling it. Anyway...as of a few days ago it has started to insist everything I put in it is not from this region. Now these are all Region 1 discs, most of which have been played in it before, but it suddenly is insisting they're not playable "In your region."

I have 4 roommates and the only unusual use I've heard of is someone possibly playing one of the new CD/DVD hybrid discs in it (NIN maybe), but other than that it's just been regular DVD Region 1 viewing. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how I might fix it? This is very upsetting. I'm sure some of you know what it's like (or can imagine) when suddenly your HT ceases to play DVDs.

- Matt

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
dumb question, but have you tried unplugging it for a bit? sometimes all you need is a reboot. or pop open the top and give it a shot with compressed air.

Matt Lee

Agent
I've tried unplugging it, but not for any real length of time, I'll try leaving it unplugged awhile. Thanks for the suggestion.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is telling you Region 1 discs are not in your region???

Ok, that is an odd one. I would asusme some region 1 discs play ok and other don't?

Matt Lee

Agent
Yeah, it is telling me Region 1 discs are not my region. So far only Region 0 / Region Free discs have played, all Region 1s have been rejected. So it's consistent in it's belief that it is not in the US. :) I tried resetting to factory settings, no luck, unplugging for a few minutes and then powering up again. No luck. The only option left I guess is to contact a Denon service center, unless anyone has any theories. :frowning:

matt-f

Second Unit
Did you happen to check what the unit's own region is reporting?

Also did you try the rest sequence on the unit?

Matt Lee

Agent
Rest sequence? I'm not sure what means. If you meant reset, I don't really know that either, but the closest thing I know is resetting/initializing the factory settings, which I tried. I have not checked what region it is reporting but I will try to, though I'm not sure exactly how to get that information out of it, I don't think it has it in the setup menu.

The manual basically makes it sound like this specific model is only Region 1 and could under no circumstances play anything else, which made me think it unlikely the region could accidentally switch to 2 or something, and I've only heard of hacks that make DVD players all-region, but who knows. Anyway I'll try to find that info. I'm also going to call what was at one time at least an authorized Denon Service Center (which luckily one of 2 in Wisconsin is here in Madison) and see what they can do for me, hopefully for free (though I'm not sure where my warranty stands).

matt-f

Second Unit
If you look on the AVS, you'll find one experienced member who know this stuff and is known for the Panasonics. The Denon 1600 is also included because it's a Panny inside.

Region jumps have happened before either because of hiccup or firmware updates. The way around it is the use of the reset sequence. The initializing is part of it but it's only resetting the user settings and not flushing out the memory which is the cause of the problem.

Reset sequence are as follows:
On the unit hold PAUSE + BWD-SKIP + OPEN for about 3 seconds. The display will display "initialization" or "int".

While initialization is being displayed, let go of all buttons and press hold STOP+ BWD-SKIP + OPEN.

Display will then display "reset".
Set your user settings.

Region check is done by pressing PAUSE + OPEN on unit, press 6 on remote. The first character on the left is what the unit is reporting.

matt-f

Second Unit

- Have a look at the components inside - Part numbers REP on the PCBs which is Panasonics MFG naming convention.
- The H02/H07 errors also happen on this unit just like the Panasonics. The way to repair it, just get Panasonic replacement parts.
- The daughterboard is identical to the RP82’s.
- The SVC Disc #2 works on it.
- This unit can be controlled with any Panasonic DVD remote.
- The diangostic and test modes is performed using Panasonic commands and the output is the same as if done on the Panasonic units.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks