What's new

Denon DVD-1600 or DVD-3800?? (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Hmmm, the 3800 compared to the Marantz 8300 would be interesting. Since I've got SACD already, a universal player may not be critical for me, esp as I should save some $ with the 3800 (although I expect a nice discount for the 8300). I also have not yet been swayed to multichannel music, so connection issues may be irrelevant (although I have very few data points for assessing mch music to date).

Doug

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I'd be interested in that comparison as well on CDs and DVD-Audio discs. Are you volunteering to do it? ;)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Tom,

Thanks for the clarification, as well as the info on the Sony 9000es.

Everyone,

Here's a dilemma that irks me....Is the Denon 9000 really worth THREE TIMES the price of the 3800 when they both nearly have the same video section and slightly different DAC's for the audio? I am not denying the 9000 is better, but is it worth that much more money. Keith raised this issue when these units came out and it does seem very valid. Looking at the spec sheets on the Denon site, they are almost identical, but the 9000 does weigh twice as much as the 3800. Btw, I e-mailed Dr. AIX regarding the DVD-A performance of the 3800, and he said that it was definitely very good. He currently uses the 9000 in the studio for playback.

Reg

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Doug, I'd be interested in that comparison as well on CDs and DVD-Audio discs. Are you volunteering to do it?
If feasible, I would. However, I don't think I'll be able to get both of them into my system at the same time (and no good relationships with denon dealers at this time), plus there's little overlap between dealers in NJ (I've alienated myself from one such dealer already). Doing it with different dealers with different systems at different times, well...

Doug

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I understand your position. I don't suppose The Wiz is selling the '3800. Probably not. They sell Denon, but probably would not have the '3800. Since you live in Central Jersey, have you been to The Sound Exchange in Somerville? If not, it's a small place, but they carry some nice stuff: Denon, Arcam, Musical Fidelity, SimAudio, just to name a few. I was there about a month ago, and they didn't have the '3800 on display. They had the '9000, though. Perhaps they will get a '3800 on display. Anyway, they don't sell Marantz, but consider them for Denon. I had a couple run-ins about 18 months ago with one salesman there who was obnoxious, but he wasn't there when I was there a month ago.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Since you live in Central Jersey, have you been to The Sound Exchange in Somerville?
This is the dealer with whom I had a falling out. Too bad, because he has a wide variety of stuff and would have provided decent pricing. I was auditioning speakers seriously and planned on purchasing one of two brands he had before going the planar speaker route. However, he was turned off (and turned me off) when I mentioned I was likely going the direct route for other components (such as Odyssey, SVS, Outlaw, which only sell direct), which I was never seriously auditioning at his place anyway. He was stubborn from the home audition perspective, too, even though I was trying to work him over on that for a few visits (he had no problem having another dealer support my home audition, even though I told him that such support gains purchase points with me).

As it turned out, I ended up going with planars, but he did lose a potential AVM 20 sale as I ended up buying that elsewhere (and not waiting for the Outlaw). He could have been in the running for a display purchase as well once I'm ready, but I won't go back.

Doug

Phil C.

Auditioning
OK, took the plunge and bought the DVD-3800 today from 6th Ave Electronics. I am in NY, but could not find anybody that had it, so I called 6th Ave in West Paterson, NJ on Route 46 and picked it up for $999.00. Going to go and set it up now and e-mail Jeff @ Denon for the Chroma Bug fix. Hopefully it lives up to expectations. I will not know for a while since I am sliding it into my current config as I will not have all the new gear for several weeks. Thanks to everybody.

Phil

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

I never shopped very seriously at The Sound Exchange, but as I said, I had run-ins with one salesman there who was obnoxious. The place is a hole -- could the soundroom behind the curtain in the back be any smaller? -- but they have some nice gear. The only things I ever bought there were a Denon DCM-370 CD changer and an Audioquest coaxial digital cable. I've bought a few CDs there too.

Phil,

Once you have the '3800 set up in your new system and with the chroma bug fix installed, please post a review.

Phil C.

Auditioning
Will do. It will probably be the end of the week before everything is done if I get the fix sent out right away. Thanks again.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Is the Denon 9000 really worth THREE TIMES the price of the 3800 when they both nearly have the same video section and slightly different DAC's for the audio?"
Reggie asks the million dollar question:) It will be interesting to read Stacey's report at Secrets on the 9000. I think it also depends on whether or not you have the 5800/03 to take advantage of the digital link. You gotta figure you're at least paying a grand on the 9000 as an early adopter of technology...but than again, the Camelot Roundtable, Meridian's DVD player(s), and transports that need outboard scalers have been around for years and cost at least as much as the 9k.
Chip,
I'm considering the 9000 down the road if the price drops a bit...also, the 3800 with the new upsampling DAC from Music Fidelity. Also, the DACs on the upgraded 5800 and the 5803 are pretty space age themselves....I'm curious how much performance one would be giving up using the DACs in the 5800(03) vs. those in the 9000. They used the same DACs and DAC structure...by doubling and quadrupling or whatever they do:)
For now, I'll be content with my 2800MKII.
Jeremy

Phil C.

Auditioning
First impressions...WOW. All I can say is WOW! I can not see anybody complaining about the build quality on this player. It is built solid and the tray mechanism operation is as smooth as silk. OK, I am waiting on a New Plasma, do not currently have component inputs on my TV, nor progressive scan, but the difference with this player even interlaced through S-Video is truly amazing. I put on chapter four of Hollow Man (Superbit) the first ape rebuild scene. WOW! Will post as I play with this thing and get it set up the right way.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks