What's new

Denon DVD-1600 dreaded H02 error, need help or recommendations (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
What a day. I made a DVD copy of Star Wars Clone Wars season 3 and watched it. I went back to watch it again and the Denon would not read the disc, it just died. I'm getting the H02 error now and need some help. The player is about three years old now and is well out of warranty. Any recommendations on a cheap place to get it repaired or is it best I just cut my losses? I love the player and it looks freakin' sweet on my projector. I bought the DVD player in the first place as it was one of the best players tested through Home Theater HiFi. So, should I try to find another one used, repair mine, or does anyone have a good recommendation to a comparable DVD player around the $300 price range?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Just some thoughts John, no expert advice. Since your willing to spend $300 bucks to replace, you may be able to have it repaired for less.
I'd call Denon and see if they will supply you with a direct quote, if not forget them and check with a local repair shop (perhaps even a 30-90 day warranty std?). Good luck.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Contact a Denon repair center and see if you can by the parts needed and do the repair yourself. I believe its the spindle motor thats gone.

Kevin

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
What's your projector's type and native resolution? Does it have DVI/HDMI, or just component? You might be a good candidate for an upgrade to a scaling player. If you have HDMI/DVI then the Oppo DV971H might be a good choice for $200. If just component and depending on the type/resolution of your projector (analog or 960x540) the Zenith DVB318 might be a good choice. On the off chance that you have a 720p projector w/out HDMI/DVI then i'm really not sure what your best option would be.

matt-f

Second Unit
Kevin not quite.

One problem about doing it yourself is that the optical pick up would need to be recalibrated because the unit was calibrated for the existing part.
-------------------------

John, you can easily get it repaired. Have a look at AVS forums. One member is very experenced about these problems and has repaired (and calibrated) them before. The individual is mainly known for Panasonic units.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I'm really thinking about purchasing the Oppo Digital player and a Samsung 841 to do my DVD-A and I'd get SACD too!!! I use the Sanyo Z1 pj, which does not have DVI. However, there are adapters (see below) that convert DVI to component and will pass a progressive scan signal. Does anyone know much about these adapters and will it do just what I am looking for with the Oppo Digital player?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks