Denon DVD 1600 & Distorted Picture

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SeanA, Aug 9, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I just swapped out my Toshiba SD4800 with the Denon DVD 1600, and the first thing I noticed was that the picture was better. It appears to be sharper than it was with the Toshiba. However, the second thing I noticed is that the picture on my Sony 34" XBR "bows" up now from the bottom center when watching a 2.35:1 widescreen movie. Essentially the bottom of the picture is an upside down smiley face [​IMG] . I also noticed that the upper right of the picture curves down. And I know this is not my imagination because I was able to measure the distortion with a metric ruler. There is about a 3 mm droop from center to outside edge.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this distortion, and is it possible the Denon player is the culprit ? (I didn't notice this distortion with my Toshiba player). Also, is there anything I can do to correct this problem ? ...Professional calibration ?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If the Sony's geometry was fine with the Toshiba player, then this proves something is awry with the Denon. If you are still within the store's return window, I'd exchange your current player for another unit of the same model.

3. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

If it weren't for the fact that you never noticed it with your old progressive scan player, it would be an easy call that it's the TV's fault. I calibrated a Sony 34" non-XBR, and it had some typical geometry problems; the service menu allowed them to be minimized or eliminated. I've never known a dvd player to have this problem- not even cheap no name brand ones. On the other hand, almost every crt based tv has some geometry flaws (bends here and there that are usually bad enough to be distracting). They can be fixed with an ISF calibration.
    Here's the only possibility I can think of, and please don't be insulted by it. Is it possible that you never actually used the Toshiba dvd player in progressive mode? I've known some people that thought they were getting a progressive signal from the dvd player, but it was still putting out 480i. The TV probably has small geometry differences when going from 480i to 480p. If this is the case, an ISF calibration on your tv would be a great investment.

4. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Hey Chad,

Thanks for your thoughts. I am sure the Toshiba player was running in "progressive" mode. Being a little paranoid, I would always recheck the switch in back any time I fiddled with connections.

I have asked the fella at work who bought my Toshiba to bring it back in so I can take another look at it. He said "no problem" since he did not hook it up yet. I will report back what I find. If the Toshiba produces a similar distortion, I will probably fork over the $$$ for the professional calibration. If not, the Denon goes back and I can only hope the replacement does not do the same.

BTW, I did speak to a Denon tech and he was also perplexed and did not think the DVD player would be the cause. But his logic was simply that there are no adjustments on the DVD player for the frame of the picture, so it can't be the DVD player. That's like saying my receiver has no volume control, so it can't be the reason no sound is coming from the speakers.