Denon DRA-685 vs. Onkyo TX-8511

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rich Moorehead, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Rich Moorehead

they both have about the same specs. which would sound better for music? im betting on the denon, but i need opinins from others.

2. Steve-sas

Steve-sas Agent

I can't speak for the Onkyo, but I have the Denon DRA-685. I've listened to various speakers with this receiver including Vienna Acoustics and Polk as well as vintage AR and Advents. I recommend it if you are looking for a reasonably priced and quite good stereo receiver as an alternative to separates. Nice power and all of the bells and whistles. I enjoy mine a lot.

3. Rich Moorehead

thanks alot. anyone else have an opinion? or maybe a recommendation of another 2-channel receiver in the same price range that could be better?

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I haven't heard the Denon receiver, but the Onkyo TX-8511 is an excellent unit. I have used it with Polk Audio RT25i and JBL S26 bookshelf speakers, and they sound excellent through the Onkyo. Runs very cool. The only thing I don't like about it are the speaker connectors....yucky spring clips. Otherwise, one of the best stereo receivers out there.

Don't know what your price range is, but J&R is currently offering refurbished Onkyo TX-8511 at $130.00.