DENON 'Distance Challenged' Remote Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by nascar03, Aug 8, 2006.

1. nascar03

nascar03 Auditioning

graham
    My DENON 3801 remote (#883) started acting up on the weekend.
    It only works if you hold it within 3 feet of the equipment, whether it be the Rcvr, DVD, projector or CD player. Everything else works fine....macros still work....program codes for other equipment still in-place...
    I changed the batteries to a known good set and then to a new out-of-package set. No difference! I cleaned it hoping that it was only some dirt on the emitting end of the remote. Nothing?
    Anyone have any ideas what could cause this now 'distance challenged' remote?? My dealer told me this morning to come in and order a new one? $100+ Good for him, not for me!!
    This unit was purchased in 2001 but only came out-of-the-box 7 months ago.

thanx nascar03

2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a faulty remote to me. Unfortunately, $100+ seems about right for an original replacement remote. Even 1-800-REMOTES wants $133.17 for it.

For that kind of money, you can get a Logitech Harmony 628 remote that you program to control the '3801, plus all your other devices. Their software has built-in code databases, meaning that you'll likely want have to manually teach everything.

Good luck!

3. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    Go with a Harmony. I got a 659 on Amazon for $65...brand new in box. I love this remote. Not only does it turn on everything with ease...If I switch from watching Dish and want to watch a dvd it turns off the appropiate stuff, switches imput on receiver and the tv...with just one button.

4. nascar03

nascar03 Auditioning

graham
    thanx for the responses.
    I looked into the HARMONY choices. I really like the 880 model but it is $200+.
    I contacted DENON with my story and they offered a new replacement remote for an excellent price so I went that way. It is being shipped as we speak.
    I like the DENON remote. It does everything I need for time being. Proper buttons, a few macros, easy to use and I'm good to go.
    When I move to satellite and add more gear I want to revisit the HARMONY advantage.
    It will be nice to be able to sit back and have control again!![​IMG]
    thanx again .................................................. ...............nascar03

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

You can find the 880 after rebates/sales for about $100. Just have to find it at the right time. The Harmony remotes are great for anyone with a family. They do just about everything and do it in a way that anyone can use the remote.

6. nascar03

nascar03 Auditioning

graham
    I'm not happy that my original remote acted up but I am pleased that DENON came thru with a new replacement remote at a reduced price. It arrived yesterday in the mail and It works great. I programmed the new one last nite complete with all the macros and I'm back in the control again.
    . thanx to DENON for helping out.. [​IMG]
    nascar03