Denon DHT682XP or Onkyo HTS-490?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LowellG, Feb 12, 2002.

1. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

OK, due to the WAF, I am cutting way back in what I want. Timing is wrong to by a Def Tech setup like I wanted, key word is want. Plus I was thinking about how much music and movies we actually watch. Maybe 4-5 movies a month and a few hours of music a day. So I have scaled back.

I am now looking at the Denon 682XP. The receiver is a Denon 1602 with a 6-piece speaker set. The speakers are mains/surrounds/center with 4”woofers (2 woofers in center), 1” tweeter, and a 6” powered sub. Retail is $700; online price which the local Sears will price match is $500.

The Onkyo HT490 receiver is the Onkyo 494 with 6-piece speaker set as well. The speakers are mains/surrounds/center with 3.5”woofers (2 woofers in center), 1” tweeter, and a 6.5” powered sub. Retail is $500 at Circuit City and $400 on the web, no place to price match.

Does anybody have any opinions on this or experience with either one? I figured I could always upgrade my speakers in the future with either system.

I plan on connecting either one of these with my current Aiwa 8” powered sub and running 2 subs. I will connect one like Polk recommends with their RM series satellite/sub setups. The other sub I will connect to the sub out RCA jack. Does this sound like it will work?

Thanks for you input. Lowell

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi lowell -
    not to make your life even more complicated, but have you listened to the kenwood 504? it consistently gets rave reviews here. i've done some informal listening and was very impressed.
    but i truly believe both the onkyo and denon would be solid performers. if i was going to buy a htb, i would be totally happy with any of the three brands...heck...they would probably be the ONLY brands i would look at.
    i'll be curious as to what you decide and why. [​IMG]

3. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I too have read allot of good reports about the Kenwood 504. I didn't think it was a DPL 2 system, but I just read it was. Now I will have to check it out as well. It has an 8" sub and at least physically larger speackers. I am trying to find the tech specs on it.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

use the search function...i bet you'll find *plenty* of hits. [​IMG]